Cold air intake ?

Has anyone here ever ran a cold air intake on their 4 cylinder 2.2. I was just wondering how much they improve the performance ? Do they increase gas mileage ?

thanks

Reply to
Ken Day

Has anyone here ever ran a cold air intake on their 4 cylinder 2.2. I was just wondering how much they improve the performance ?

--------- Quick answer: Zero improvement.

At least on my '94. Already has factory stock cold air intake. There is an intake duct in the front bumper fascia that receives outside ("cold") air pressurized by the car's forward movement. Directly behind this duct is a plastic plenum behind the front wheel that incorporates a "resonator" to reduce noise, and directs the air flow to an opening next to the battery (so the battery case is also cooled - nice since heat is not helpful for battery life - yet the battery case also directs the air flow rearward). Immediately behind the (fairly large) opening in the sheet metal behind the front head light is a "snout" that picks up the outside "cold" air and draws it into the air filter enclosure where there is an intake air temperature sensor sending signals to the ECM to maximize efficient fuel delivery to the injectors. Here's something else (that could be disturbed if the existing intake plumbing were altered). After the intake manifold "collector" (to buffer air pulsation) there are long individual runners to each intake port to utilize "inertial supercharging effect" - although with the Camry's "fuel efficient" "FE" head (narrow valve angle) the additional torque is delivered at mid range rather than high end.

Reply to
Daniel