Concrete Pad size for future A/C unit

I have an old central heating and A/C unit. the outside compressor is on a metal bracket hung at the top of my basement concrete wall. It's way up there, (the bottom is about 8 feet off the ground), and I've never liked that. While it keeps weeds, grass, etc, out of it, it's too far in the air to conveniently clean it out and service.

So, now that I think it may need to be replaced soon (it's 25 years old), I'd like to go ahead and pour a concrete pad below it so I'll be ready when I have to buy a new one. BUT, I'll let the old run as long as it will ('cause I'm not crazy). Question is, how big should I make the pad to make sure it's big enough to hold the new unit. I don't want to shop for a new one yet, because things may change by the time this puppy dies... so I just want to make the pad big enough to hold whatever. My house it a two story, with about 2,000 square feet of cooled space. I'm thinking a 2" thick pad of about 42" wide by 36" deep should do it. What do you folks think before I break out the shovel and readimix?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Henderson

Are you going to go buy the shovel and concrete mix from Home Depot, getting there in your TOYOTA? Otherwise, your question is not that relevant to a Toyota newsgroup. Hey, it's not even about politics or baseball!

Reply to
mack

Buy a premade plastic one and use gravel to set it, why make it difficult unless your camry will be parked on it.

Reply to
m Ransley
36x38 should handle almost any AC unit Make it at least 4" thick
Reply to
sqdancerLynn