Converting '99 Camry brakelights to dual lamps from single lamp?

Has anyone ever tried changing the single brake lamp per side to a dual lamp operation? The '99 Camry's have 2 lamps per side, but only one is a brake light, with the other just being a rear light. The '00's use dual brake lamps and I like that look much more than the stingy single bulb approach. Any ideas on re-wiring?

Thanks!

Reply to
Sentra4Sale

Is one lamp in the trunk? Messy...

Go to a hardware store, Home Depot, etc and look for 3M quick tap clamps. They are open when bought. You clamp it around the wire you want to tap, place the wire to be spliced in the other recepticle and squeeze them shut, and then clamp them. You'll se what I mean when you see them. Then, at an auto parts store, get pigtails that will fit into the bulb recepticle with two contacts.

Actually, what I did with my '85 Corolla GTS was just the opposite! I had the two taillights/brakelights setup. I clipped the wire to the inner lamp on each side that went to the taillight, so just the brakelight was still attached. Now I have European style taillights. The outboard lamps are taillights and the inner are brakes only. Not only that, but I put super bright lamps in the brakes (50 watt halogens?) When I hit the brakes, people behind me *know* it!

I also wired up a relay to the remaining brake lights on the outborad lamps, with a switch from another Corolla (fog lamps) on the dash. So, with the switch off, I have taillightsand brake lights on the outboards. I can turn on the driving lights on another switch, but when I hit the fog light switch I wired into the relay, I have rear fog lights (the switch actuates the relay which switches the outboard brake light from brake duty to always on...)

Reply to
HachiRoku

?Sentra4Sale wrote: ? ?> Has anyone ever tried changing the single brake lamp per side to a ?> dual lamp operation? The '99 Camry's have 2 lamps per side, but only ?> one is a brake light, with the other just being a rear light. The ?> '00's use dual brake lamps and I like that look much more than the ?> stingy single bulb approach. Any ideas on re-wiring? ?> ?> Thanks! ? ?Is one lamp in the trunk? Messy...

Yep, there's one taillight in the trunk lid, and the combo brake/taillight on the body. I think I'd need a new socket for the lid lamp plus some wire to join the new connection into the original brake lamp connection. Messy yes, but I'll keep thinking about it.

Thanks for your comments!

Norm

[...]

Father Guido