Coolant leak in my 94 Camry

Hi Yesterday morning I discovered some smoke coming from under the hood after I parked my 94 Camry (95K) at work. i noticed that a lot of coolant had leaked and had collected under the two fans. i dont know how it got there but it smelled bad.

Now, after driving back from work I noticed that the coolant container has a small hole at the top and coolant had spilled over from it on my drive back. There was a lot of coolant under the fans once again (the earlier coolant had dried).

Could the coolant have leaked because of the hole on top of the coolant container or is there a leak somewhere else, maybe in the radiator? Do I need a radiator change or some kind of radiator check?

The car does not overheat and is running normally. I am just concerned about the smoke coming from under the hood. Is it safe to drive the car for a short distance?

Please advise. Thanks!

Reply to
issac.bach

With the radiator cool - this is very important - open the radiator cap, and take a look. Is there fluid in there? If no, add some water (distilled, if you like). Room-temperature water, not chilled water.

Do you have coolant up to the FULL line in your coolant container? If no, add some water (distilled, if you like).

Take the car in for a check-up, if you don't feel comfortable checking the radiator yourself. How long ago did you have the coolant changed, by the way...?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Either your radiator is going or the coolant hoses in that area. The reservoir is off to the side so it's probably not the problem. Do you have coolant coming out of a full reservioir? No? The plastic tanks on top and bottom of the radiator deteriorate and develop hair line cracks, the tank o-rings between the plastic and the metal core can leak, or radiator hoses have pin holes from electrolysis, among the things.

Try to locate the source of the leak. An overheated engine takes out the rubber seal in the water pump and eventually the head gasket. It can get expensive quickly if allowed to deteriorate.

100K is where I'd change out the rad, the hoses, and thermostat as a preventative thing. For the cooling system, I'd use only Toyota thermostat, coolant, and distllled water (for the Red coolant). I'd get everything else from NAPA parts stores or online to keep the cost down if you do the work youself. Otherwise do take it to a competant mechanic.

This is why certain things should be done preventatively. Right, Mr Darrett? ;)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

You could ruin your motor, dont drive till you know what is in your radiator and someone sees the problem.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thank you everyone.

I checked the radiator and it had fluid in it. The coolant container level is a little less than FULL, so I have left it at that. But I could see a small hole at the top of the container and there were distinct coolant stains starting from under this hole. I could follow these stains upto the windshield liquid bottle and I am assuming the coolant that went under the fans seeped from here.

The coolant was changed (topped) some 2-3 months back.

The coolant might be seeping through the plastic tank at the top, because I saw traces of coolant at the top of the raditor also!

I guess the best thing to do is get a checkup done. Thanks again.

Reply to
issac.bach

That reminds me. On my wife's '99 Camry (70k miles), I changed the coolant myself (last winter!), then, sometime in the spring, when I looked under the hood, there seemed to be some red seepage on the coolant reservoir, around the black plug (not sure what the terminology is - the black hose/plug that runs from the radiator to the coolant reservoir). There was even a bit of white "salt" probably from evaporated radiator fluid.

I didn't worry about it too much, since the reservoir is still pretty close to full. Should I be more worried?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Yes, of course. ;-)

Just trying to get a complete list of parts to order, then I'll get my parts.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett