cooling fan problem

I've been noticing that my car has a tendency to overheat for some time (a few months maybe). I finally investigated it and found out that my cooling fan wasn't coming on, even though the car was clearly getting hot. I went through the electrical schematics, and figured out that the temperature switch (the one that plugs into the bottom of the radiator) was the problem. I bought a third-party switch, and replaced my old one, and I noticed that now my fans were coming on, but only when the gauge was just about in the red. I went back to the store and exchanged it for another one, and this time the fans didn't switch on even when the gague went into the red. I was told that for this part, this sort of thing can happen, and the only replacement switch that will work is one I get from the Toyota dealership. Has anybody dealt with this situation before? The car is a '95 Camry, 4 cylinder 2.2 L engine.

Thanks

Reply to
adam.burkholder

Haven't had to deal with this situation, - my cooling system works flawlessly, but I would definitely recommend the dealer part. If you overheat that engine, chances are good you will be replacing the aluminum head - at a minimum, so that kind of puts the cost of a sensor in perspective. After many difficult experiences over a period of years, I insist on only genuine Toyota parts - in many cases there are visible obvious differences in quality.

Reply to
Daniel

Maybe the problem isn't your thermostatic switch but instead your thermostat isn't opening.

Reply to
tomcas

It might be that the car is not actually running hot and that a bad temperature gauge or temperature gauge sending unit is the real problem. Or it might me a water circulation problem. I am assuming that the fan control switch is mounted in the radiator and that the sending unit for the gauge is mounted to the engine. If the water is not circulating properly (due to a bad thermostat or other problem), the water temperature at the temperature gauge sending unit might be significantly higher than the water temperature at the fan thermostat. An infrared thermostat would be useful in this case. You can look at the radiator temperature and hose temperatures and see if they are actually high.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed It's a lot simpler than that. All he need to do it put his hand on the radiator. If it's cold, and the engine is hot, it's time to check first the thermostat, then the pump.

Reply to
tomcas