Cooling System, fans and others

Hi, I just got the radiator and thermostat replaced on my 1994 Camry (2.2 L4). It had a leaking radiator. After that I noticed that still some white smoke (much lesser than earlier) was coming out of the radiator from the right side. I showed it to the mechanic once again. He said that it was probably some leaked coolant dissipating in the air. However, I still see some white smoke occaisionally from the same region. I have noticed that this usually happens only when my air circulation control is set to 'Internal air ciruclation' and the A/c is off. I have noticed that in this condition, the fans don't simply start and stop intermittenly as they should. However, not once does the car coolant temperature needle goes beyond the half-way mark. Also, the coolant level in the overflow tank does not seem to decrease any radically. I do not know if there is any problem in the car. But after spending $450 for the radiator replacement, I would like to take utmost precautions. One of the doubts that I have is that, is it possible that one of the plugs on the rediator may be loose, or that the pressure cap may be loose shunted?

-Kunal

Reply to
Kunal

I'm assuming by your post that there has been more than a couple days elapsed. If so, your mechanic is probably right as you would see the coolant level dropping eash day if you had a leak. Sometimes coolant will accumulate in small pockets and crevices and then splash out when stopping and etc. I would suggest you keep an eye on the coolant level and temp gauge for a short time. Also, in cool weather the fans sometimes won't kick on as they aren't needed to keep engine cool, the coolant flow is enough. To verify you need to monitor engine temp with a thermometer to see if fans kick on after coolant temp reaches appx 200 deg. F. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Temp should not get above the normal half way range, fans in cool weather may never run. Wait and check levels as days are needed to evaporate spilled fluid. But keep an eye on the area you suspect it could be a small leak or residue evaporating.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks David and Ransley :)

Reply to