correct way to tension the power steering belt on a '99 Camry?

Hi,

I think the squealing noise when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right is because the power steering belt is not tensioned enough.

$20steering$20noise/alt.autos.toyota.camry/Zw0ZHT3tfHg/pwApivvkbUQJ

When I changed the timing belt, I got new drive and PS belts, but there is no spring-loaded tensioner for the PS pump as there is for the timing belt.

When I installed the PS belt, I tried to push the PS pump as far to the left as I could, while also tightening the sliding bolt, but I think I did not push it hard enough.

Since I think I have to remove the alternator and motor mount bracket (gee I hate that one) *again* to get at the PS pivot bolt, I'd like to only have to do this once.

What is the correct way to tension the PS belt?

Haynes and the FSM are strangely silent about this. I was wondering if I should have my wife push the PS pump with a prybar from above while I tighten the sliding bolt from below, but I'm afraid we'd scratch or damage something important...

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

the left or right is because the power steering belt is not tensioned enou gh.

s no spring-loaded tensioner for the PS pump as there is for the timing bel t.

eft as I could, while also tightening the sliding bolt, but I think I did n ot push it hard enough.

e I hate that one) *again* to get at the PS pivot bolt, I'd like to only ha ve to do this once.

should have my wife push the PS pump with a prybar from above while I tigh ten the sliding bolt from below, but I'm afraid we'd scratch or damage some thing important...

Resolved. I removed the tire and accessed the pivot bolt from the bottom, so I didn't need to remove the alternator or motor mount bracket again (whe w!)

I found the biggest wrench I could find and simply used it as a lever again st the oil pan, and pushed to the left as hard as I could while tightening the adjustment bolt. Patched everything up, drove around the block, and no more squeal when I turn the wheel far left or right; just a slight hiss, w hich is what I was used to (PS bypass valve opening?)

Fun fun.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

You have successfully invented pry-bar style tool # 400230047485, Congratulations.

Unfortunately, "whatever works" really is the only option on some things. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Thank you thank you thank you. =)

Then afterwards I was wondering if I'd damaged the oil pan... then I was like "Ehh screw it, as long as the oil level is good it's all good."

Ah, gotcha. I was wondering if there was a standard technique for you professional mechanics.

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

everybody has four or five different length pry-bars, so in a shop with several people that get along with each other, there's always one that's just right...also scrap pieces of 2x4 make excellent fulcrums.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

2x4! Great idea! That would reduce the risk of scratching metal engine parts. Thanks!

I find that funny how you said "in a shop with several people that get along with each other." I'm surprised we can get anything accomplished at all in my office... everyone seems to dislike everyone... too much drama.

Reply to
mrdarrett

if real life were a comedy, it would be a TV show. A GOOD show, not a "reality" show

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh