Cost for Timing Belt Replacment in '99 Camry?

How much will it cost to change a timing belt in a '99 Camry with 60K? I'm located about miles south of DC. What other scheduled high priced maintence am I looking to pay for?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

4 cylinder Camry at dealer if you have coupon $199. Other shops will charge less usually.
Reply to
badgolferman

Great, then it's not a deal buster. How much is 6 cylinder belt change? don't know if car is 4 or 6 cylinders. Will find out. Where do I get coupons?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I think six cylinder ones are around fifty bucks more. Check website of dealer for maintenance specials and perhaps even Toyota website.

The six cylinder ones don't have to be replaced until 90K miles, I think.

Reply to
badgolferman

Turns out it's a four cylinder engine.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

You may need to change the water pump along with the belt. Usually you can skip this every other belt change, but it will depend if you regularly change coolant and use distilled water with it.

Drive belts, oil seals and two pulleys should be changed with the timing belt.

Dealer coupons of $199 sounds about right. But they'll likely add another $400 for the above parts so call and chat with them prior about a package deal.

If you are mechanically inclined and willing to do the timing belt, all the parts and water pump cost about $130 online.

Mike wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks. Don't have the car yet.