Could previous timeing belt work have caused this problem?

I replaced the timeing belt and water pump on my wifes 97 Camry XLE V6

100,000 miles. about 1.5 years ago. Last week I was driving it and noticed a puff of smoke from under the hood. Apon inspection I noticed the belts were not tracking right. My mechanic explanes that something happened the the harmonic balancer?? It has moved in .5" , chewed up the timeing belt cover and started chewing a hole in the engine. He says he can fix the gouge in the engine.

My question is, could this have been caused by a mistake in reassembly after the timeing belt was replaces last year??? Could the harmonic balancer have not been put on right causing it to move???

I've never heard of this problem and it seems to much of a coincidence that the timeing belt was worked on not to long ago???

TIA

Steve

Reply to
steve

not if its been good for 1.5 yr. if problem happened within a few weeks maybe. sounds like something else broke or worn.

Reply to
jjjsan

I'm hoping that is the case. I've always felt confident in using this independent shop. Unfortunately one of the few times we had major preventative work done (replacing the timing belt last year) now we have this odd repair issue which will cost as much as replacing the timing belt did.. I'll ask the mechanic what he thinks but I wanted to get some other opinions first.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve