crankshaft pulley - not bolt

Does anyone have any techniques for removing the crankshaft pulley once the bolt is removed? It seems like a custom puller is needed. Does penetrating oil do any good? Prying didn't seem to do anything and there's really no good fulcrum in that area except the oil pan lip, (which bends). I was able to get the crank bolt off easily by propping my breaker bar against the control arm and giving the ignition a quick tap.

-- Message posted using

information at

camry-keeper

== Sure. Steering wheel puller, or crankshaft pulley puller. There are two threaded holes in the face of the pulley. Earlier models are 6mm later are 8mm. Makes it easy. Puller should be under $20 at local auto supply store. Someone tried prying off the pulley on mine and chipped the rear in two places. Still works though. The prior owner had dealer receipts for the work. One more reason why I do all my own servicing and repairs.

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks, I considered that; however the pulley on my 1995 4 cyl has 4 non-threaded holes about 3/16 inches in diameter, so there's nothing to thread to. Funny, mine is chipped too :) glad to hear it still works and doesn't shred the ps belt.

Reply to
pwichert

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: the pulley on my 1995 4 cyl has 4

== Funny, that was my first thought also. Look more closely and you should find that two of them are actually threaded. Dirt accumulates and makes the threads hard to see. Try spraying a very small amount of penetrating oil and you should find them.

Reply to
Daniel

Great. Got it, and came off easily. 8M x 1.0 threads. Thanks for the help. New belt is on and working. The hardest part of the job was removing and installing the camshaft seal. Ended up using a pry bar againt the strut tower and a large socket to press it into place. Even with lube, it was TIGHT.

Reply to
pwichert