Crankshaft Pulley Removal on an 87 Camry 4cyl

OK, I've tried everything to get the crankshaft pulley off.

The hub is securely immobilized with a shop-made tool. I'm using a 6point socket on with a breaker bar and a cheater. I'm turning CCW. I've tried an impact wrench (maxed out), doesn't budge. A few minutes ago, I thought I had it loose while trying the breaker bar and cheater method, but noticed that although the hub is not turning, the outer belt pulley is turning along with the bolt head AND THE CRANKSHAFT. So, it appears that the hub and the pulley have somehow separated internally. The bolt is still stuck fast in the crankshaft.

Any suggestions, folks?

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
TOM

Can you tell us more about how the shop-made tool held the crank pulley?

Some crank pulleys are solid discs but some have outter portions bonded to the inner discs with rubber. Sounds like the latter type was installed on yours. On this type of pulleys the holder tool must grip the inner portion or the rubber layer wil be damaged.

In the case of damage to the latter type of pulleys you will have to pick up another one. Junk yards probably offer the best prices on these things. There is no need to get a new one for a couple of hundred dollars if this is indeed the case.

See if you can pull off the outter pulley by hand (and see the disintegrated rubber layer). Then you can use either the pulley holder tool or a chain strap wrench to remove the crank bolt.

A 24" long 1/2" breaker bar ($9.99 on sale at your local Harbor Freight) with a cheater pipe should do it even for a V6 (take all safety precautions) I'd think even if you live in the rust belt with the bolt on there all these years. On a 4 cyl you shouldn't really need more than the torque needed to remove a wheel lug nut otherwise.

TOM wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Rent a 3/4 inch impact wrench and socket. Use about 100psi and it will pop right off.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I had to do that once on an MR2. The 1/2 impact wrench wouldn't do anything. The first 'hit' with the 3/4 spun it right off.

BTW, my 3/4 is an el-cheapo. Rated at something like 750 ft-lbs. Not as beefy as those Ingersoll Rand types, but beefy enough.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

Prop the breaker bar against the frame & use the starter to break the bolt loose!!!! MAKE SURE TO KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF THE WAY

Reply to
sqdancerLynn