Darkening Power Steering Fluid

I have a 2001 3.0L V6 A/T 57K miles and have noticed the power steering fluid getting darker in color. It looks black from the outside of the reservoir. If you look at it on the dipstick you can still see through it but it looks like there might be "soot" like particles in it giving it the discoloration. Is it possible that this is rubber from the inside of the hoses? Has anybody seen this before and know what this is?

The manual says nothing about changing the PS fluid at all but I think I'm going to change it anyway. Does anybody know the flushing procedure for sure? I think you are supposed to jack up the front end, put the return hose from the reservoir in a catch can, Then start the engine and turn the wheel from lock to lock several times to push the old fluid out. Does this sound about right?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Sr.

I just use a meat baister and suck out the fluid, changing it is a good idea, do it a few times if its still dirty.

Reply to
m Ransley

If reservoir looks that bad, you can remove and rinse out the container. But, thats sound about right, keep the reservoir filled with fresh fluid, wait till return fluid starts to look like the fresh stuff. Your done. Make sure you use the correct fluid in PS. Some use ATF fluid, Dextron III, etc. I think toyota uses Dextron II or III.

Reply to
jjjsan

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! As Harry said, if in doubt, apply the old maxim, "new fluid is the best fluid".

Reply to
MisterSkippy