Darned annoying roof-racks

My 96 Camry came with what appears to be genuine roof-racks. The problem is they have special security Allen type screws. Trying sets of security tools are all the wrong size. Anyone happen to know what size they are?

The sec screw is the pin in the centre type device.

thanx,...Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I'm not sure size really matters because you're going to have to buy a full set anyway. You'll have to look on the Internet or a 'real' local tool store. Home Depot won't cut it for this.

Reply to
truFan

What surprised me was the local Toyota dealer couldn't help,........but then again that would be too logical!!

thanx Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Reply to
Wolfgang

Yeah I tried buying a 60 bit imperial and metric set on spec, thinking the right size would have to be in there, but know.

I'll have to vernier the width of the lands to find out which special size they are. My local Toyota dealer didnt have any idea.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

In news:lUhNb.12441$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au, Jason James being of bellicose mind posted:

Tamper resistant / security hardware is interesting stuff. You will find Torx with a pin in the center of the socket (driver bit has to have a corresponding hole in the center). Then there's pentagon socket head screws (requires 5 sided driver bit). There's "D" head screws (requires a 'D' socket driver). These special drivers are sometimes unavailable to retail buyers ... meaning you have to be a shop or in a specific business (like car alarms) to buy the fasteners and their driver in quantity.

Take a look at these:

Philip®

Yes,....mines just a std hex with pin,...but the size is the wierd part.Looks like a job for an angle grinder!

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Cut a slot thru the head and use a flathead screwdriver

Reply to
Max

Great idea,...the easiest solutions are often the hardest to visualise!

Jason

Reply to
Jason James