Did Car Dealer Lie to Me?

I bought a like new 2004 Camry last year, and I am really miffed at the lousy gas mileage. On average, I get 22 gas MPG which is now costing me almost 20 cents a mile at the current gas costs.

The thing that irritates me is the dealer advertised 35 MPG on this vehicle. Granted, I do mostly city driving, and I run the AC a lot, but I wouldn't think I should have this much of a difference. This was a certified preowned car. Is this mileage normal for a Camry?

Reply to
alvinstraight38

Its probably normal and 35 is highway so he didnt lie you just didnt think, if its got alot of miles get a tune up, synthetic oil will help

Reply to
ransley

which 04 is it? 4cyl? 6cyl? manual? automatic?

Reply to
01dyna

Well here goes .Hope this helps.? I am 74 years old and have heard everything~!!! AND BELIEVE NOTHING

MY SON DRIVES 1999 gmc VAN 350C INCH MOTOR WHICH HE BOUGHT USED (PLEASE BEAR WITH ME) when he bought it he was going to do a tuneup on it as it was running rough and gas mileage was way down.

He thought he would try LUCAS gasoline additive for $25.00 US a gallon and see what happens? (NO I DO NOT SELL THIS ADDITIVE OR HAVE ANY CONNECTION WITH THE COMPANY.

To make along story short ? he said after the 4th tankful of gas the vehicle ran like new and he passed the emissions test with flying colours.(NO tuneup required~!!)

When he told me this ? I said to myself, oh ya ?ok. another con .

However I tjhought what the H***? I`ll try it on my 2002 camry-4 with

100,000k on it,and see what happens ?

Well was I surprised ? after the 4th tankful ? (you only need 100-150 ML per tank)the gas mileage went up about 8-10- % , it ran more smoothly and increased its power (which a Camry-4 is a little underpowered in any case)But the difference was quite noticeable.

My son in law was going to put all new HT wires and plugs in his 1992 Dodge van(with over 150,000 on it, as it was running roughly and giving poor gas mileage.So I told him about the Lucas treatment and he tried it.

He said he doesnt need the new wires or plugs now ~!! the van runs very nicley.and gas mileage has picked up.

He didnt believe the Lucas treatment would work either until he tried it.

So from these three examples I would say try the Lucas fuel treatment, its only $25.00 US at NAPA+TAXfor a gallon.

If most of your driving is city your mileage will drop off especially if you dont change your oil and filters when required.because of water and acid build up in the crankcase which dilutes the oil and creates sludge.

This type of driving is classified as "most severe service " by Toyota and all other car makers.

If youre using dino oil you need to change it and the filter every

2500-3000 miles under these conditions (just to get rid of the water and acid build up, which is critical),if you use a good brand of synthetic , like Mobil 1 ? 5000 miles is a good oil change interval.

Make SURE ~! the air filter is clean~!! this will also reduce your mileage if it is clogged.

And yes , using the A/C constantly WILL reduce your gas mileage but only a very little on the newer cars.(But would you be without it ?)

AND ONCE AGAIN~! I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH LUCAS AT ALL , NONE~!!!

THIS IS JUST FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

I sincerely hope this helps ?

Reply to
mred

I forgot to mention : I get well over 35MPg on the highway now on a trip . I dont check the city driving mileage as it is minimal for me

Reply to
mred

Its probably removing carbon from mainly city driving

Reply to
ransley

all good points. Also, it might be a good idea to have your emissions system checked out. When my EGR got dirty, the mileage on my

02 LS430 dropped by almost 5mpg. And on that car, that REALLY hurt.
Reply to
01dyna

22 might be normal for a 4, but synthetic in the motor, trans and differential might get you 1-2 mpg, retarded timing can loose you 4 mpg, it did for me, old plugs, bad O2 sensor can loose you 1-3 mpg, sticking brakes, uninderflated tires are not good, and its how you drive. I dought it will get 35 on a trip, so take the ass to small claims court after a hwy trip.
Reply to
ransley

Do most auto parts store sell it, its 25$ ?

Reply to
ransley

YES THEY ALSO HAVE A QUART SIZE AS WELL MUCH CHEAPER IF YOU WANT TO TRY IT.

I figured for $25.00 what the H***?Im happ y with it and I buy a gallon almost every time I cross the border because I think the price will go up shortly with the oil prices the way they are.

Reply to
mred

No Camry I have owned ever got 35 MPG in city driving but I have come close in highway driving. I think you misunderstood the dealer or only heard what you wanted to hear. You should do your own research before believing what is told you, especially by a used car dealer.

I believe the 2004 Toyota Camry 4 cyl had a rating of 23 city/32 highway. Sounds to me like you got exactly what is advertised.

Reply to
badgolferman

Since the EPA publishes statistics on this, there is no reason why anyone should be so foolish as to even ask the dealer about it. These EPA numbers are on the sticker of each new car (in very big letters), and just based on that one should be suspicious if someone claimed that a newer version of the same car gets significantly less mileage than an older one.

Reply to
Mark A

The manufacturers essentially lie in their ads, using the highway rating as a sunstitute for the old combined average. They get away with it, and some people like the original poster fall for it. People should indeed know better, but they usually don't.

Reply to
mjc1