diff fluid level check?

Hi. In this model of Camry ('95 V6 LE) know the differential fluid is separate from the auto trans but is it checked through its fill plug for level when the diff is cold or hot (like the autotrans)?

Thanks, Dale

Reply to
Dale

==================================== Cold, like a standard transmission. Be sure it is separate. On some of the V6s, they share fluid. If you see a separate fill plug up on the back of the differential case, then you check there.

Reply to
Daniel

If you go to the trouble of checking it you are better off changing it, im sure you are to long overdue.

Reply to
m Ransley

Yep. Have already changed it when I did the autotrans. It was separate.

The query was referring to: when I opened the fill plug to check the level it came spurting out like it was overfilled ..but then I had it on ramps and it had been driven to warm up the autotrans for _its_ change. So what I ended up doing was drain. Fill to 'even with the fill hole' while car was level. Run the car. Drain again to make sure any crud was gone. Then refill while cold.

Thanks.

Reply to
Dale

================================ In addition to the fluid being cold, the car needs to be level to get an accurate reading. I use jack stands on the front sub frame cross member and then jack stands with short lengths of 2 x 6 at the jacking points in the rear, lifting from the center of the rear subframe.

Reply to
Daniel

Good plan. I ended up running the front up on ramps then used a hydraulic floor jack to temporarily boost the rear to the same height. Seemed to work alright.

Reply to
Dale