differential oil

My co-workers were a bit surprised when I told them my Camry ('96, '99) takes ATF fluid in the differential. They said they would think it would take gear oil, since the diff does a lot of hard work, to extend the life of the differential gears.

Then again, one of these co-workers has a Dodge, and enjoys pushing the metal to its limits. He uses 10W40 for his oil, saying this thicker oil reduces wear.

Any thoughts on this? Would it be advisable to add 10% or so heavy gear oil to the differential oil? Or is this just not a problem with the Camry?

I'm at 74k miles on the '99, and 139k miles on my '96.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

This is the way I understand about FWD and RWD. Camrys are FWD and the differential is infact the Automatic Transmission. I have previously owned a RAV4 which is All wheel drive and same as a RWD car, there is a differential in the rear. I used gear oil on the rear differential and I use ATF on the transmission.

Reply to
EdV

=============== I tried something similar once and it reduced power. If you want to upgrade use Mobil 1 fully synthetic ATF. The rear wheel drive differential also changes direction of power flow with the pinion and ring gear. I think it is called a hypoid gear with a sliding frictional surface. The power transfer to the differential in the Camry uses gears where the teeth mesh in the standard fashion, plus the side gears only even move relative to one another when turning a corner. Seems hard to believe at first when accustomed to RWD but ATF works just fine. Just remember to check, fill and change the fluid if the reservoir is separate, it doesn't run well on no fluid or neglected fluid.

Reply to
Daniel

No dont guess, but better is mobil 1 trans fluid.

Reply to
m Ransley

Right, I'd already replaced both my Camrys' diffs with Mobil 1 Synth ATF.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

The reason you can use light-grade oils in front-wheeldrive cars with a transverse mounted engine, is because the differential is basically another gearset. Rear wheel drive cars have hypoid gear-meshing diffs which allows the drive to do a right-andle (tail-shaft to axles). These gears *slide* as they mesh, which means you need a very strong film of oil to stop metal on metal contact.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Reply to
Ogo

Sorry, that may have sounded a bit rude, it wasn't intended to be, drunk in charge of a keyboard, your honour! But seriously, in my experience of years of mucking about with cars and bikes, I have found that if you just want to use the thing with the least trouble, just stick to the manufacturers specs, they spend millions of dollars testing these things in ALL types of enviroments so why spend too much time re-iventing the wheel.' Sorry if I caused any offence, have a good Christmas break. OGO.

Reply to
Ogo

No prob, no offense taken. I don't have the manual in front of me, but I'd be surprised if the original Owner's Manual mentioned the Dexron II/III for diff service. (Manual seems to go on and on about how to use seat belts, the CD changer, etc.) Got diff fluid info from my Haynes manual (and from the online factory service manuals from turboninjas.com/camry).

Guess I shouldn't take advice from Dodge-driving co-workers. ;-)

Merry Christmas all,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett