Dimly lit dash warning lights.

I have a 1993 V6 3.0 litre auto Camry (UK version). When a warning light comes on (as some do briefly when you start the car) they are brightly lit and there is no doubt that they are on. I have 4 lights which are just glowing enough so that you only notice them around dusk.

These are the warning lights (all red ones): Low oil (but I've checked and it isn't). Low break pads (but they're fairly new). Alternator problem (dealer says the battery is charging fine). External light failure (but they all work).

The car has been to the dealer and they found no obvious reason (and I didn't want them to spend lots of time & my money looking for some thing that can wait).

My conclusion is that there's no problem with the things that these warning lights would indicate. What's the problem with the dash and how do I fix it?

Reply to
kevin.bramhill

Lights that glow dimly in the absence of an alarm is an indication of poor earthing causing current loops within the dashboard.itself. If the dash has been out, an earth lead may have been left off for example.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I had this problem on an '86 Celica. Additionally I noticed an alternator whining sound. I brute force decided to change the alternator.

It corrected the problem.

Reply to
<barry

When this occured, was it only the 'alt' or 'charging' light that glowed. This is a normal alarm if it was.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James