disabling dome and open door light

In my 1990 camry, starting having a sporadic problem, of door open light on dash, remaining on, after car shut off and door closed. Had to close drivers door several times to turn it off. I first noticed this, after battery going dead, about three times in a month, if not used for a day or two, and light stayed on. I didnt notice this at first, thus battery draining down. I got a new door switch for car, which doesnt seem to fix the problem. There has to be a short somewhere, but there is only the one connection to the door switch. About 80 percent of the time, the dash light doesnt even come on, but then it comes on while I am driving, and sometimes stays on for a few seconds, or flickers on and off. I took out the dome light bulb so it would never go on. I would like to disable this light going on in dashboard but cant figure out a way. I cant remove fuse, since it controls other vital functions, and dont want to have to open up the whole gauge console to remove the light permanently. I showed it to two mechanics, and they are both stumped. Any recommendations?

Much regards

Reply to
J.Lef