disabling security system '93

We recently purchased a '93 LE in great condition. It came with a dealer installed security system and remote. The choices for switching in the interior are "horn defeat" and "valet mode".

When we close the doors (with or without locking it), the alarm activates. The alarm then sounds when we try to get back into the car, unless we press the remote which sounds like the horn - loud and scary. We've tried every combination of settings, nothing can get rid of the alarm activation problem. I've never heard of a car automatically alarming itself, just with a close of the door. Bottom line: is there a way to deactivate this system or at least the horn sound of it?

Reply to
julierika