DIY - Camry 2005 transmission fluid flush

Hi all,

I want to flush the transmission fluid for my 2005 camry.

Is it possible to do it myself? If so, can someone tell me how OR point me to some sort of DIY (Do it yourself) manual.....

Thanks Snow

Reply to
uet_info

On my old camry the trans has a drain plug, I would be sure to check the level when hot first then drain and replace the same amount so you dont overfill it, after so many miles the filter should be changed, but a simple drain and fill helps alot.

Reply to
ransley

take it to a qualified transmission shop and have it done.

Reply to
BigJim

The whole point of the question was DIY.

I am sick of being overcharged for mechanical service. I used to pay about $120 for an oil change - cheap motor oil and an after market filter. Now I do it myself for $40 with a genuine oil filter and quality oil.

So, can any one help?

Reply to
uet_info

Get a Haynes or Chilton repair manual:

There should be a hex drain bolt on the pan. Drain and measure the amount, and then refill with new fluid. That tranny probably takes the more expensive Toyota Type IV (?) ATF, do check the spec. Don't know if there is a differential drain plug on yours.

Toyota likes Mobil fluids:

johngdole

Just what I was looking for....

Thanks John!

Reply to
uet_info

Not to be argumentative, but the original poster was looking for a "flush". Won't the procedure you described merely change a couple quarts of the fluid leaving the remainder of the system untouched ? Would doing what you suggest, driving a few hundred miles, and repeating it multiple times be equivalent to a flush ? Just wondering....thanks !

Reply to
Justa Lurker

Reply to
BigJim

You're right about "flush" and the "drain/refill" technicality. When people asked about DIY, drain bolt, repair manual I think of the standard drain/refill. Also I personally don't believe in the flush machines. I think they are capable of doing more harm to an otherwise good tranny.

In fact, Honda's "ATF flush" is three drains and refills with a short drive in between. They do not spec the ATF flush machine even to clear the Dexron fluids drivers added in a jam.

That said, for these tranys it's best to drop the pan and change out the strainer. There is no way to clean the strainer in it's casing with compressed air, as fluid takes the path of least resistance. I find 15,000 miles works for me with the older A-series (descendents of Borg Warner copies). Just make sure cleanliness is top priority working on trannys.

Reply to
johngdole