do i need to replace my timing belt?

I got 96 LE. Proudly 215000 miles on it. I never changed the timing belt. The engine is still good. I'm little concerned with my timing belt. One of these days I am afraid I will get stuck in the middle of highway because of the timing belt. Do I need to replace it now? Could it last much longer?

Reply to
ed

Here's what Toyota has to say on their site:

If your vehicle is a 1999 model year or newer and is equipped with a timing belt, you should replace it every 90,000 miles or six years, whichever comes first.

For all other Toyota vehicles equipped with a timing belt, we recommend that the timing belt be inspected with the other drive belts at 60,000 miles or four years, whichever comes first, and every 15,000 miles thereafter and replaced as necessary. Because the costs involved with inspecting the timing belt may be similar to those of having it replaced, many customers may find it more cost effective to replace the timing belt at 60,000 mile intervals.

Should the timing belt break while you are driving the vehicle, severe engine damage could result. The higher the speed that you're traveling at, the more extensive the damage could be.

Alan Shutko

Good advice. While your there, it's a good idea to replace the water pump and any oil seals as well. Those parts are easily replaced while the engine is apart to have the new belt installed.

Reply to
Zebra

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Shutko" Newsgroups: alt.autos.toyota.camry Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 4:37 PM Subject: Re: do i need to replace my timing belt?

I thought MOST Toyotas were non-interference! Are they referring to the new VVTi six cylinders? Guess they assume the costumers need to be told "engine damage could result" since SOME have the new interference engines??

Reply to
JH

That would be my guess. As far as I can tell, they don't have anywhere on their site which engines are interference and which aren't. Or maybe it's just CYA.

Reply to
Alan Shutko

Reply to
Wolfgang

The 3MZ-FE (3.3L v6 on the Camry SE) is an interference engine with a belt, as reported here.

Reply to
Alan Shutko

Very good advice. I would suggest having the oil pump seal replaced also since it is right under the timing belt. Just had to have my oil pump seal replaced...Last timing belt/water pump change they changed the other seals but left this one...it had hardened and was broken so I had an oil leak from it...

Reply to
ROBMURR

You can download the Gates Automotive Products Catalog in pdf form from

you look up your vehicle it will list whether the engine has a beltand whether or not the engine is an intereference design. According to the Gates catalog a 1996 Camry will have a timing belt, but the engine is not an interference design.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

It is also noteworthy that "dog-eared" belts have a shorter service life (typcial 60k mile interval) than the larger radiused tooth belt design (typical 90k mile interval).

Reply to
Philip®

Thanks for that tip, Robmurr... I am just about to get my timing belt done this weekend (95K miles, '99 Camry 4 cylinder) and was going to have them do the water pump and all seals, but didn't know about the oil pump seal. Hopefully it's not a solid gold seal that costs $500! :-)

Reply to
Zebra