Does 99 camry 4cyl have non inteference engine?

If the timing belt breaks will the valves bend like they did on an old bmw I had?? Thank You:)

Reply to
:

It's a non-interference engine. Timing belt change interval is 90 000 mi (140 000 km).

Reply to
Nobody Important

Reply to
CamryMan98

One also has to consider that there is a chance that the replacement will not be done correctly, and the timing will be off or other problems will occur. This is not a simple repair, and a surprising number of people report problems after a timing belt replacement.

Reply to
Mark A

Thanks for the responses guys! I had mine done 60k ago and it was done incorrectly and it makes noise. Will the engine valves bend if the belt is broken??? Thanks again :)

Reply to
:

My 1997 Camry 4 calls for 60K mile timing belt changes. I think the 6 cylinder ones call for 90K intervals. I guess the owner's manual has the real story.

Reply to
badgolferman

I showed up at my Canadian Toyota dealer at 60 000 mi but they told me to go home and change it at 90. I think they extended the interval beyond what's printed in the owner's manual.

I ended up changing it myself. Got to buy a shiny new YELLOW impact wrench and everything. :-)

Reply to
Nobody Important

So no damage if the belt were to break?

Reply to
:

No engine damage. But you have to remember that you might be on a highway in traffic, and you will instantly lose all power, including the power assist on your brakes.

Reply to
Nobody Important

I believe the 99 accord would do damage though...glad I bought the camry!:)

Reply to
:

One MORE reason not to buy Honda, the preferred car of Asian gangsters in North America.

Reply to
sharx35

The previous series - which uses the same four - had two intervals:

60k miles for 'severe conditions' and 90k for 'light', aka normal commuting in light traffic. Our is at 80k and 8 years at the moment...
Reply to
mjc1