Door Handle

The door handle partially broke when I opened the driver's side door on my gray 2000 Camry LC . It is a piece of molded plastic. The part that broke is a flat strip of plastic that one puts their hand under and lifts up in order to engage the opening mechanism.

The dealer wants $90 for the part and another $90 for install. Does anyone know where these handles can be obtained cheaper? I have found a supplier that will sell after market for around $30 but only in black. I need gray.

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
twhite8611

Try a local wrecking yard. The Ford dealer wanted $160 for the plastic lens for my mustang's rear taillight.

Local wrecking yard sold the whole light assembly (in excellent condition) for $60. Replacing the lens only would have been a somewhat fussy job. Popping in the assembly was quick and easy. Nowadays a lot of folks forget how friendly a place the local wrecker can be....

Reply to
timbirr

I have tried all the wrecking yards in my area. I have called two in Florida where we will be spending the winter. They just are not available. One junk yard told me they are a dealer item only.

Reply to
twhite8611

I've had good luck on Ebay for things like that.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Tim:

Earlier this year the door handle on my 1997 Camry broke. Then the door handle on my son's 2000 Camry broke. I think there must be a lot of this going on out there. Anyone know of any secret warranties etc?

Where did you find a dealer willing to replace the handle for only $90?

Paul Koehler

Reply to
pkoehler

I plan on keeping my car for a while, so I paid the 90 and installed it myself. You can get the black and paint it with matching paint, but what a pain that is. Install is not very hard, but does involve taking the interior door trim off. A flashlight helps too. 30-45 min job.

Reply to
camry-keeper