Drive boot seepage - not cracked

'94, 4 cyl., driver's side, inner boot at large clamp adjacent differential has slow seepage of grease. Keep cleaning it off the nearby shield and it keeps coming back. I've cleaned the boot itself, and it is fine - no cracks. At first, I thought the prior owner's mechanic just failed to clean the surrounding area when he replaced the axle. Now I realize it loses a little bit of grease. Got the car at 85,000 miles, now at 130,000. Wondering if I need to address this and how. Not sure I could cut off the old clamp without damaging the boot, and don't have the right banding tool to install a new clamp. Or just let it be? Not sure it has caused any problem really. Or just let the dealer repair it? (when they did a four wheel alignment some months ago, they gave me a long list of recommended repairs but no mention of that boot area. Have since completed all the repairs apart from those they recommended that were unnecessary - like changing power steering fluid which was fresh as can be, just looked dark when viewed through reservoir)

Reply to
Daniel

It sounds like either the banded clamp is allowing grease to exit due it has lost its clamping action (the neoprene deforms under the pressure of the clamp allowing leakage) in which case you can carefully remove it by using a high speed mini-cutter to grind thru the band. These can be bought with accesories for under $30 at hardware stores. Use the mini emory cutting wheel. Once the old clamp is removed, install a new worm drive hose-clamp by undoing it so it is not a circle anymore,..position over the old area or if you can, move it slightly inward or outward onto new undamaged part of the boot. Feed the free end of the band back into the worm-drive while turning the worm-screw till engagement is achieved. Tighten moderately.

The other thing that maybe happening is leakage of diff-oil past the drive-shaft diff seal,...tho this is definately different to grease and as such I trust you know the difference.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks Jason. I already have a dremel type tool, and that would work well for removal. Never thought of using that. Would make removal simple. yes. it is definitely axle grease, not transmission fluid. Not sure about using a worm drive clamp though. I don't even use those on radiator hoses anymore. anyone have a source for the correct band and installation tool? I know where I've been buying special purpose tools in the past, but if anyone has another recommendation, would be appreciated.

Reply to
Daniel

There are varying quality worm-drive clips. Some are too bulky where the worm-drive gear housing is. If you were to consider using a W/D clip,..go for a quality stainless steel one,..they have thinner metal and less tendency to deform/damage the boot under the WD-housing.

I did see one of those band-crimpers for sale somewhere in the last coupla years,..try a hydraulic hose place that supplies replacement HP hoses for tractors and stuff or offer mechanic a carton of beer for loaning his. :-)

Jason

Jason

Reply to
Jason James