Driver-side window

hi,

The third and final problem with my 94 Camry LE 4 cyl is with the driver side window. It is an automatic one. The glass rolls down pretty fine, but while pulling up, comes to a stop before it shuts completely. There remains a small gap approx. 2 cm. I observed that the glass while rolling up tilts a bit towards the front side and hence small gap remains even at the back of the door glass.

I have been living with this problem for around 4 months now. But since winter is coming on, would like to get it fixed. I usually don't lower it unless to pay a toll or at a take-out.

I showed it to a small garage near my home. The guy asked for approx. $60. Is is worth it? More than that, should I let him do it. Somebody suggested that since the door assembly needs to be removed, the best thing to do is to go to the dealer. The Team Toyata near my place didn't comment anything and wants $90 to just diagnose the problem. They said that it could be something like the motor or the regulator and both together could cost upto $500.However to me it looks more like an alignment problem.

Pls. advise. Thanks,

-Kunal P.s. I tried spraying some silicon spray at the window edges and the rubber socket but to no benefit

Reply to
Kunal

Best guess - the track got bent slightly. Once saw a body shop guy grab the top of a door and just pull on it to establish final alignment by bending the frame slightly. Has anyone been opening and or closing your door by holding the top of the window frame, rather than using the door handle? (hurried parking attendant?) The mirror is rigidly mounted. Any possibility the mirror was subjected to some impact that crimped the channel at that point?

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks Daniel. No one has been opening the door that way. So are you suggesting that I show it to a Body repair shop. That is one of things I would like to know -- whether to take it to a body repair shop, glass repair shop or a regular repair shop like Pepboys.

Reply to
Kunal

A cable run trough a plastic bracket and complete a loop ; the bracket is likely broken ! The bottom portion of this bracket is broken and only the top portion is still there so your window will come down but the steel peg on the cable will come off the bracket as soon as you bring the window down again . Help the window up gently by pulling it up with one hand inside and the other one outside and get someone to press the up button until the window is all the way up and then unplug the motor so you don't accidently use it again if you don't want to spend money on it . 60.00 is definitly a good price for a fix-it , it sound almost too good to be true so I would get somekind of warranty in writing if I were you . If you decide to fix-it yourself you'll need a metric socket wrench 8 mm and 10 mm and about 30 minutes of your time . You could find a used motor assembly at a wreck but keep in mind that it's a design flaw and the same part will eventually break again . It's happening when someone press the auto-power button when the cycle is not complete and these little electric motors have enough torque to break off that little piece of plastic ...

Hope that helped ! mario

"tj" wrote in message news:0fZ2f.40411$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

Reply to
supermario

Vow mario, thanks, it seems you exactly know what the problem is... you are a genius. I will see what i can do about it.

Also, your earlier tip on the passenger side door locks worked too. I sprayed some silicone spray on the door locks and handles and it works very fine now. Seems something was indeed sticking.

Thanks for all your help..

-kunal

Reply to
Kunal