E85 corn alcohol fuel

My daughter has a 2000 Camry and just moved to Iowa where the gas stations are selling regular fuel as well as E85 corn alcohol fuel. Is it safe for the Camry to use it?

Reply to
marhou

Hmmm...back in the day I used to use gasahol (15% corn squeezins') in an '80 Corolla Coupe SR-5. All my friends said this would burn valves, etc. The car was brand new. I ran gasahol for three years, since it was a higher octane at a comparable price. I traded the car in '86 with 240,000 miles on it, and I don't know what happened to it after that... ;)

Reply to
hachiroku

Toyota doesn't recommend anything more than 10% alcohol. Obviously, that mixture is 15%. If rarely used, I don't think it will cause noticeable harm. The alcohol is corrosive to the metal parts in the system. I'd suggest not to use it very often. Although, the alcohol will remove any water or moisture from the fuel system (mostly your gas tank). Using it on rare occasions will actually yield a benefit.

Reply to
Viperkiller

NO! That's eighty-five percent alcohol. Ford, and others, offers a modified engine option on one model, was Taurus, for use with this fuel. It's popular with state energy departments.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Absolutely ... NOT. E85 is 85% alcohol and 15% gasoline. Do not use.

--
   ~Philip.
Reply to

SNIP

Your ignorant assumption is "obvious." Better read up on the subject before commenting.

--
   ~Philip.
Reply to

Chances are she is already. Usually the cheaper gasoline (like in conveience stores) are *already* 'Gasahol'! Check with the retailer (the manager, a lot of times the counter people won't know)

Reply to
hachiroku

Cheaper? Maybe with gas at two dollars, but until now ten percent ethanol was more expensive. Minnesota has had all grades at all station at ten percent for something like twenty years (and available for another ten). Federal pollution requirements have by now pretty much required ethanol in all grades everywhere there's a pollution problem or a farmer's lobby. There should be a sticker on the gas pump stating if it's an ethanol blend.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Toyota allows the use of oxygenate blended gasoline where the oxygenate content is up to 10% ethanol or 15% MTBE. If you use gasohol in your Toyota, be sure that it has an octane rating no lower than 87.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Here in Massachusetts, they have to. I just didn't notice it for the past few years!!!

Reply to
hachiroku

You're right, Philip. My mistake. I misunderstood what the E85 was. Thanks for the edification.

Reply to
Viperkiller

I should apologize for wording the reply a bit loudly.

Reply to
Philip

The good 'ol MN corn lobby, yeah you got that right!!! And crying dfl'ers (Dems). This whole ethanol thing is a scam from the word go. My Father in Law works for the state DMV with a (state) Taurus and word has been passed down from the (Republican, mind you) Guv to use this stuff whenever possible. I really doubt it is a high volume seller. The state is probably the biggest customer. I don't think the Ford Crown Vics are dual fuel, so the troopers still use the 10% or whatever stuff.

They used to have them on the pumps here when there was a choice. Been missing for a long time now. Great for the 2 stroke snowmobiles and blowers as well.

Brian

Reply to
bjgl1

No need for an apology. Let's just look at it that we've both learned something.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Hey, I like this guy!

Reply to