EGR/VSV Repair Cost - 99 Camry 4 cyl 81K mls?

I also have a intermittant check engine light w/ EGR code (P401). I see there are many very helpful postings regarding the EGR/VSV, however I don't have any mechanical skills so my question is what is a worst-case repair cost I would expect? I would assume that the problem is either with the EGR or the VSV and a good & honest mechanic should figure out which one to replace or if I'm lucky, just clean EGR. It seems the possibilities are:

a. diagnose/clean EGR b. diagnose/replace EGR c. diagnose/replace VSV d. diagnose/replace VSV & EGR

with "d." being unlikely if the mechanic is good/honest.

Any estimates on what a typical mechanic would charge for a. - .d would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
nearly_blind

Try not to take it to the dealer. Ask around at the auto shops who they'd recommend as a mechanic.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I had a check engine light come on last fall.The dealer I took it to charged me$45.00 Canadian for ths search.

The code was : PO446

His price was $630.00 +13% tax here in Ontario Canada.

He said the WHOLE canister needed to be replaced as ths vsv is integral and could not be serviced.

Another dealer I took it to, gave me a WRITTEN ESTIMATE OF $!85.55 including 13% taxes to do the same job (replace the vsv valve.)

Labour was $89.00 and parts was around $75.00 and change.

I let it go until yesterday June 06/08.

It seems to work fine now and the check engine light is out and system has been checked ok..

Hope this helps ?

Reply to
mred

The proper way is to diagnose the problem and replace the broken part. Otherwise you might change out the EGR valve, modulator, VSV and then found the problem to be a blocked vacuum port.

The canister VSV mred mentioned costs $46.99 on rockauto.com (Standard Motor CP419, OE# 90971-12271, 90910-12271). The EGR VSV has one output port shoud be cheaper.

A new EGR valve costs $126.89 (AIRTEX Part # 4F1621). Plus a couple of gaskets.

The parts total should be < $200. See if a mechanic will charge you 1 hour to put them in. Even if you need a modulator that's like $50 and

1 minute to put in.

EGR picture:

Canister solenoid picture:

johngdole