engine check light on

`02 Camry -4 113500 kilometers got inthe car the other day and the check engine light came on when I turned on the key

The book says check the gas tank and cap which I did and if that doesnt work take it to a dealer which I will do this week .

what I would like to know is what other condition could cause the check engine light to come on?

The car runs fine , lots of pickup etc and nothing seems to have changed in the operation of the vehicle . any help appreciated TIA

Reply to
mred

Not all check engine lights point to the gas cap. And Toyota will charge you an hour of labor just to read the code for you.

Go to your local Autozone or other parts stores. Many have loaner OBD- II readers and they can help you read the code. Retightening the cap won't immediately help. It may take a looooong while because the condition for the OBD test need to be met (like driving at certain speeds for a certain time, etc). So Autozone is faster.

You can also pull the ecm fuse for a minute to reset. But have the code read first and post it here.

Reply to
johngdole

Ok heres what I did : Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.

I took it to my dealer and he put a code reader on the computer .It indicated that the vaccuum switch on the charcoal canister is faulty .

He quoted me a price of $650.00 Canadian to replace the canister which has a builtin unserviceable vaccuum switch ( so he says )so the whole unit needs to be replaced. so he says.

Being of a sceptical nature I called two other dealers in my area. They quoted me about $161.00 Canadian to replace the vaccuum switch . They said nothing about replacing the whole unit.

I called Basil Toyota in Lockport NY about an hour from me here in Canada and they told me also that the whole unit needed to be replaced but ~!!!!!!! at a price of

$330-$350.00 US dollars . Even with the exchange on the dollar and only 8.125 % tax,thats about half what the original dealer wanted in Canada......

Now my question is this : Since I was quoted two different prices for two different methods of replacement? One, the whole canister with built in switch for anywhere form $330.00 US to $650.00 Canadian or just the switch,for $161.00 Canadian . I dont really know what or who to beleive .

Anyone got the real dope on this situation ? considering the three different prices I have recieved and two different modes ?of replacement

I just dont know who or what to believe now . TIA for any resonse at all.

Reply to
mred

I have a 1997 Camry and my check engine light has been on for several months. I went to a local mechanic initially and he put the reader on it and it coded areas related to that vacuum issue(sometimes caused by the untightened gas cap) so he reset the code and it stayed off for about 2-3 weeks. It came back on and has been on since. Before I left the first time he told me that it is not uncommon for Toyota's (I've also found stuff online to say the same) to have this problem with no problems with the mechanics of the car otherwise. I havent had any loss in power or any other related problems with the engine or fuel systems or otherwise. The only bad thing is that if there were any serious "check engine" occasions I wouldnt know the difference.

Not sure it helps but thats what I know about it...

Reply to
Melanie Hunt

The post 97 Toyota charcoal canister design has a lot of problems. The main thing is that it sometimes disintegrates inside and sends charcoal powder all over the system. But people have reported buying new charcoal system and still have the light come back. So be careful here before you spend the $$$$$. The VSV (vacuum switching valve) can be clean carefully by prying open the metal tabs and lubed. Should work like new if that's the only problem.

Yeah, Toyota doesn't seem to make them like they used to. People flocked to Toyota because Detroit was so bad. But I must say I'm impressed with GM's turnaround in the past year. Some awesome technologies are finally being funneled into the new products like it's supposed to: the new 6T/6L series of compact clutch-to-clutch transmission (no ATF changes for life), cylinder deactivation technology, two-mode hybrid developed with BMW, etc. And a year ago I wouldn't drive past a GM lot.

Some examples of the new GM Epsilon platform:

johngdole

Yup the car runs like a dream but they tell me I need the vaccuum switch for the e_terst .

I wont worry about that till next August as I just got my one years sticker in August `07

I had the option of getting a two year sticker but didnt . I hate giving the government MORE money than they already get .and I wouldnt get interest on it either ( for the second year)Oh well win one lose one LOL.

As for Toyotas relaibility ? It was made in Japan but I dont think its living up to its reputation.

I had a `92 Accord-4 auto, which was less trouble prone , also made in Japan.

Reply to
mred