Engine Light and Catalytic Conv.

I have a 2001 Camry with 133000 miles on it. The engine light has been on for three days and when I took it to be looked at I was told the scan says I need two new catalytic converters. The cost is $1600. The car runs fine. Does something sound wrong with this diagnosis or who else should I take it to for evaluation? I took it to Toyota first.

Reply to
mike828

What a rip off, a Dealer Im sure, go to midas or car x for a price and get a cheaper mechanic

Reply to
m Ransley

They did show you the code right? If so what was it..Hate to replace the cats if it really only needs a gas cap!

Reply to
ROBMURR

If it is really the cat convertors,.....go to a muffler/exhaust place and check for better prices for non-Toyota cats.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks to everyone for the reply. I have since gone to a muffler/exhaust place and they have quoted me around $200 to replace the cat conv. Oh, and to robmurr, i did check the codes and it was the cat conv.

whats up with these dealers? Either this muffler place is way off or the dealer was ripping me big time.

Reply to
mike828

I have been occationally getting P0420 error code and I have been clearing it with OBD-II reader. Do you remember what error code you got?

Also I guess the Cat convertors have longer warranty than other parts. Like 7 yrs or so. In CA its longer i think ....

Reply to
Manoj Nair

How do you think dealers get those nice showrooms, you pay for it. yes they rip you off..

Reply to
m Ransley