Engine oil overfill

I know the question was raised at some time on this group but I cant find the comments anymore. The question is: Will an "engine oil overfill" damage the engine or its gaskets or anything else? I had the oil changed at the dealer today. As I always did since i got this car (Camry 2000 CE) purchased brand new. Today I found out when I got home that the oil level on the dipstick was about one quarter of an inch above the full mark. I actually was present when the guy filled her up again and though he did not have anything to measure up the amount he was putting in, he said he was relying on the compressor's noise delivering the oil to know exactly the amount in. He said he has been doing this for years and never had problems. This overfill somewhat contradicts the owners manual which states that max is max and not above. I know that I could remove the excess but does someone know whether it is necessary or not. Jean-Guy Paradis

Reply to
Jean-Guy Paradis