Engine / steering vibration

Hello group,

I have a '93 Camry LE. In the past month or so I've noticed that while travelling on the highway at 55mph and faster that the steering column and engine seem to vibrate a lot. If the passenger seat is empty, I've noticed it also visibly shaking. Naturally I'm a little anxious! :)

Other than the very basics, I don't know what I'm doing as regards car maintenance and would appreciate any advice as to what might be causing the vibrations.

Kelv

Reply to
Kelv

It could be out of round or out of balance tires. Try rotating it to the back and see if it still happens.

Reply to
Viperkiller

My '96 does a similar thing as the engine is running down in revs, seems to be most noticeable as revs go thru 2000 or so. Its not a problem,..just one of those quirks. The engine and transaxle is very well insulated from the car- body/chassis in other respects.

If the vibration is marked and has a 'wobbling' nature to it,..you may be looking at road-wheel balance or tire-rim trueness problems.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The engine mounts go bad in these too - believe the redesinged the original mounts due to vibration. This cause engine to wobble even when sitting at a stop light. When you shift into neutral at say 60 do you still get the vibration? If so then it is probably tire balance or a worn CVC joint. If its when braking then a warped rotor. Swap tires front to rear will spot light a bent rim or tire thread failure.

Reply to
Wolfgang