Extended warranty? My experience

Hello all,

Greetings from Sydney, Australia,

I have had a recent problem with my Camry and have had to call upon the I had purchased with the car. A few people in this newsgroup have said that these extended warranties are only fit for toilet paper - I thought that some of you might want to hear my experience.

Last week I discovered that the rear main seal on my 1999 V6 Camry was leaking. The car had 40,000 kilometres (24,000 miles) on it when I bought it from a Toyota dealership here in Sydney. The car has now done 110,000 kilometres (68,350 miles) and has been serviced at Toyota from the day I bought it.

I had paid for a rather expensive Toyota-backed extended warranty on the car when I purchased it, thinking that it may be good insurance, but also knowing the reluctance of some car-makers to honour these sort of warranties and the dreaded fine print.

When told of the rear main seal leak, I though here goes, I will have to fight hard with Toyota to get the problem covered by the extended warranty. I was in for a shock - Toyota came to the party and has paid for all the repairs necessary. They even came through with 3 days free car rental while my car was getting repaired. The only thing that wasn't covered was the insurance on the rental car.

Considering the cost of getting the rear main seal replaced and what I paid for the warranty, I am at least $500-$600 in front. Good on you Toyota, Australia.

Cheers, Nick

Reply to
korris

korris wrote: || Hello all, || || Greetings from Sydney, Australia, || || I have had a recent problem with my Camry and have had to call upon || the I had purchased with the car. A few people in this newsgroup || have said that these extended warranties are only fit for toilet || paper - I thought that some of you might want to hear my experience. || || Last week I discovered that the rear main seal on my 1999 V6 Camry || was leaking. The car had 40,000 kilometres (24,000 miles) on it when || I bought it from a Toyota dealership here in Sydney. The car has now || done 110,000 kilometres (68,350 miles) and has been serviced at || Toyota from the day I bought it. || || I had paid for a rather expensive Toyota-backed extended warranty on || the car when I purchased it, thinking that it may be good insurance, || but also knowing the reluctance of some car-makers to honour these || sort of warranties and the dreaded fine print. || || When told of the rear main seal leak, I though here goes, I will || have to fight hard with Toyota to get the problem covered by the || extended warranty. I was in for a shock - Toyota came to the party || and has paid for all the repairs necessary. They even came through || with 3 days free car rental while my car was getting repaired. The || only thing that wasn't covered was the insurance on the rental car. || || Considering the cost of getting the rear main seal replaced and what || I paid for the warranty, I am at least $500-$600 in front. Good on || you Toyota, Australia. || || || Cheers, || Nick

So, sometimes it DOES snow in the middle of summer. Big Deal. Totally anecdotal. By and large, extended warrantees on ANYTHING are so much bullshit.

Reply to
probono

Manufacturers service agreements may be expensive but they get the job done. It is the 3rd party agreements that are a rip off. The company may go bankrupt before you use it. ALso with the manufacturers service agreement, if you sell the car while it is still valid you may get some of your money back thru higher resale value.

Reply to
Art

Art wrote: || Manufacturers service agreements may be expensive but they get the || job done. It is the 3rd party agreements that are a rip off. The || company may go bankrupt before you use it. ALso with the || manufacturers service agreement, if you sell the car while it is || still valid you may get some of your money back thru higher resale || value. ||

Only someone with more money than brains..like a DEMONrat would say such things.

Reply to
probono