Failed Smog emissions test

On a 95 Celica, we failed emissions. Idle or low speed was ok. The problem came in to play for hi speed CO of 10% and hi speed HC of 220 both at 2500 rpm. The limit for hi speed co should be below 1.2% and hi speed HC should be waay below 220.

I have a general knowledge of cars. What would I look at or replace to help pass this smog test.

Thanks Much In advance, Haney

Reply to
TheMotos1

Don't start blindly replacing parts when you fail a smog check. Take it to a garage that specializes in smog checks, and pay for some diagnostic work to find out the real problem. You'll save money, and avoid making the problem worse. It should be something very simple on a Toyota of that vintage, maybe a disconnected or broken hose, or a stuck EGR valve.

My brother-in-law owns a repair shop in San Francisco that does a lot of smog checks. He had someone bring in a Ford Escort that failed by a small amount. He offered to repair it for $60 (this was 8-10 years ago). The owner declined, saying he would fix it himself then bring it back for a free re-test (the policy was "Pass or Retest Free)." The owner brought it back for the re-test, and the car failed again, but this time as a "gross-polluter." The owner then said he'd pay the $60, but it was too late. The vehicle was automatically dubbed a gross polluter in the DMV computer, and had to be fixed by a certified repair shop, and then retested at a test-only smog check facility (every year, rather than every two years).

Finding a reputable shop with expertise in smog control equipment on Toyota's is the challenge, so you don't end up spending a lot on the diagnostics. Where are you located?

If you do try fixing it yourself, when you go for a retest, first pay for a pre-test to ensure that the problem is fixed prior to being hooked in to the DMV computer (or whatever it is called in your state).

Reply to
SMS

I am in Las Vegas, NV. I would like to fix it myself. We had the car fixed last year in order for it to pass smog and it cost upwards of $400. I am going to a place that will re test for free. Today, I've already changed the air filter oil and oil filters. will go in for a retest and then change spark plugs next if we still don't pass. Oxygen sensors cost $170 from Toyota. There is no check engine light so I imagine that they are functional for now. I'm trying to make sense of the abnormally high CO and HC.

Thanks again guys.

Reply to
HanDoGG

It could be running too rich for a variety of reasons (O2 sensor, IACV), it could be a bad catalytic converter (for the HC anyway). High CO is caused by too much fuel too little air (also running too rich). However there could be many causes of running too rich. Could be an EGR problem.

Good luck. I get the feeling that you're going to spend more money changing parts that don't need changing than you would having it diagnosed professionally. The problem is that there is no home mechanic Emissions Analyzer. Also, I think you probably get only one retest free, after that you start paying for the next test/retest.

Reply to
SMS

How many miles on this car. High Mileage may mean that the CAT is failing. This could be the reason that the high rpm test is failing. The catalyst is worn out or gone.

Fred

Reply to
Fred C. Dobbs

SMS is right. Rich mixture is one area you should look at first. Too much fuel and too little air. Start with the easy items, like vacuum leaks and IAC valve, and then look into things like timing, valve clearances, spark plugs, oxygen sensor, misfiring cylinder etc etc

Reply to
johngdole

Here's the latest. I've changed the spark plugs oil and oil filter.. and the air filter. Now when I changed the air filter, It seemed as if the old one were damaged and had been letting in a great deal of dirt. This goes back to a previous post that there is not enough air. What would I check next going on this. Could something be clogged?

Thanks@@

Reply to
HanDoGG

Vacuum ports have tiny passages and may be plugged. It's hard to tell unless you take each hose off and clean the passages and blow compressed air through the hoses. Time consuming I must say but should tell you the state of the vacuum control system.

Now, debris is more harmful to the engine in terms of excessive wear. I wonder about the condition of the rings and cylinder/piston etc.

Reply to
johngdole

I bribed the smog guy. For $110 plus the $29 smog fee... I passed.. NICE!!!!

Reply to
HanDoGG

I had a Chevy PU that wouldn't pass unless I stood on the hose they put into the tailpipe......I would chat with the mechanic to keep him occupied so he didn't notice what I was doing.........

Reply to
rnbo