Finally got my clunking strut fixed

On my 1997 Camry it has always made a little noise in the strut tower area since new...recently it was making a LOT of noise like it was coming apart! Got it fixed today with

2 of the new strut towers and factory struts. WOW. No clunking, less overall road noise, smooth over any bumps...a pleasure to drive again. We looked at the old shocks and they were not leaking and we could find no damage to the strut towers visible from the outside...have 170,000 miles so far and I should get to 250,000 miles easy thats my goal.
Reply to
ROBMURR

Had the same problem with my '98. I checked everything in the front end, from tires to panel liners. Nothing would stop the clunky sounds. So I took it to the dealer, and they found the strut tower mounts were defective and they replaced them on warranty. Seems it was a very common thing.

Wayne Norman

"To belittle is to be little."

Reply to
Wayne55Dud

I had the offending one on the passenger side fixed with a new tower but had it done before the new part came out in 2000. The new tower put in back then did not stay quiet for long. My shocks had to be pretty worn out since not only the noise is gone but the ride is so much more improved.

Reply to
ROBMURR

How much did you pay?

mike

--------------------

ROBMURR wrote:

Reply to
MB

A very common cause of clunking noise is the sway bar bushings. Although these are in the rear of the car, I couldn't tell where the noise was coming from. They was $130 to replace them (2 bolts!). I'm out of work and it's not a safety concern so I turn up the radio.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Surely the bushing aren't $130. Out of work? - maybe auto mechanic would be good side line to get into at $65 per bolt! You shouln't need but a couple wrenches or a ratche and socket. There are aftermarket polyurethane bushing available too if you don't want to go with the OEM rubber ones.

Reply to
Wolfgang

With 2 strut towers, 2 struts and labor about $450 done by by independant mechanic who was a master tech at Toyota dealer for years.

Reply to
ROBMURR

What area do you live in? Sounds like someone I might want to see!

Thanks, V

Reply to
Interested User