fix reverse light

I can't pass the state inspection because this reverse light is not on. If it's not the bulb, where else could it be? I hate to pay the shop $135 just to figure out something. I've already spent $185 fixing a useless flex pipe for the inspection. These shops appear to take the opportunity to make money off the state inspection.

My car is 1994 4 cyl. Camry.

Thanks for the help,

Reply to
cpliu

Fuse, switch, wiring.....

If it was my car, I would satrt at the fuse panel and work to the rear of the car. There is a switch that is turned on when you shift to reverse. For a manual transmission, this switch is screwed into the transmission. Find it, and make sure you have power to the switch. Then verify you have power out of the switch when you shift the transmission to reverse. The manual transmission switch looks like

For an automatic, the reversing lamp switch is included in the transmission range sensor (I beleive this is mounted on the side of the transmission and looks like
. This item includes botht he back up light switch and the neutral safety switch. You'll need to figure out which lead is for which application (neutral safety switch is on when in park or neutral, back-up light switch is on when in reverse). If you have power throught the switch, but not at the light sockets at the rear, you'll need to look for a broken wire or a loose connector. A wiring diagram for your car would be really helpful at this point. Lucky for you, Autozone has one on line. See
You also need to verify you have a good ground at the back-up light socket at the rear. Check this first! Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to
johngdole

For me with me doing most of the repairs I figure it costs something like 100 dollars to go one thousand miles. That's pretty much all costs gas, oil changes, tires, repairs, insurance, depreciation, a windshield now and then and that's without anything major like a complete transmission or engine. And if it were my car I'd be using a DOV meter to check the sockets and track back to the switches mentioned in other posts and find where the problem is an fix it. It might just need an adjustment on the transmission selector switch. I'd also be checking the dog bone that keeps the engine from rocking to much, to make sure the new flex pipe doesn't have to flex to much and shortens the life of it.

Reply to
Fat Moe

Thanks for the help. Mine is manual. Where do I access that switch? from inside the car or from below? I hope I don't need to disassemble the transmission in order to see it.

Thanks,

Reply to
liu

Thank you all the advice. I will check them out.

Reply to
liu

The switch is screwed into the side of the transmission.

Ed

Thanks for the help. Mine is manual. Where do I access that switch? from inside the car or from below? I hope I don't need to disassemble the transmission in order to see it.

Thanks,

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to