Flashing A/C light. Means what?

Greetings-

It's a 1986 Camry with 180K miles, if it matters. Today the A/C light started blinking on and off and the air blowing from the vents began to get warmer and warmer. The A/C has always worked fine with no decrease in performance over the years. Drove home from work in 100 degree weather with no problem (about a 30 minute drive). Stopped at the grocery store for maybe 15 minutes and after that this flashing business started. Couldn't find anything in the owner's manual, my Haynes manual, or for that matter, a few Google searches. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

appreciated.

Replying to my own message-

It's been about an hour since I got home. Just went outside to start the car and- the A/C functioned normally. No flashing lights and nice cold air from the vents. I'm *really* leery of problems that fix themselves.

So with this additional information, any ideas as to what might be going on? Again, thanks in advance. Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

It could be as simple as your AC belt is slipping (loose, worn, splashed by rain water, etc.). When the speed sensor detects a variation between belt speed and compressor speed past a certain point, it will exhibit the characteristics you describe. You can reset things but shutting the car off and resetting. It will work fine until it detects the variation again.

Doug

Reply to
-

appreciated.

Flashing A/C light means there is a problem with the A/C system, probably that the freon level is too low to run the compressor.

It probably is going flat. You'll probably be able to run the compressor a few more times, then kaput.

A lot of people here have been talking about charging their own A/C. Ummm, be careful. I totally blew a compressor with a 'changeover kit' that said my system needed 4-4.5 lbs. Typically, it only needs *2*! I'll never do it without guages again. (imitating James Cagney: "boom, see......BOOM!")

We had two mechanics working at our dealership, and it generally takes them 45-60 minutes to charge an A/C system. They have all the proper tools and the machine, so if it takes them that long, and you can do it with a can in 12 mins....

Boom, see......BOOM!

Reply to
HachiRoku