for Ibrahim

I got the symptom described by EG022-02 at my V6 Camry 2002. I called,as you advised, Toyota C.Serv. They told my is no applicable for my model/year. They contacted my dealer, instructed to wait 72 hours for a response. The limit was on Friday. The dealer didn't bother to call. The problem is that my mileage is fast increasing. When I 1st called I had 35000. I drive about

130 miles a day. I got 250 miles left and nowhere to go. How bad is this problem with the transmission? The shudder when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd.

any advices for me?

SB;

This is a general problem with majority of the 2002's and even some of the 2003's. I sometimes notice it on my 02 V6 as well. There are at least 3 recalls that I found that address the automatic transmission:

  1. EG022-02 : A/T - Light Throttle 2nd - 3rd Gear Shift Shock/Shudder
  2. EG013R-01 : A/T - Poor Shift Quality
  3. TC001-02 : A/T - Fluid Requirements

(source:

Just call Toyota @ 1800-Go-Toyota (US), describe your problem, and ask about the above Technical Service Bulletins (TSB). The customer service rep will open a new case for you, and forward a service request to the dealer who will then HAVE TO perform the fix if it's relevant. This way you avoid the dealer run-around.

Even if the above recalls are not relevant, Toyota customer service should be able to guide for what else to do.

BTW, from experience, never ask the dealer about recalls. They always seem to be "interestingly" unaware of any. If you suspect your car might be subject to a recall, just call Toyota and give them your VIN and they will tell you whether it is or not. The above site is also a great source for recall info.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Al

Al,

If your Camry VIN number is SMALLER then 4T1BF3#K#2U###### take your car = to the dealer with a copy of the TSB and perform the computer reset, = this TSB is only a resting of the transmission computer memory.

The warranty for this work is covered for 96 month or 80,000 miles = whichever occurred first.

Jack.

Reply to
Jack

Hi Al;

I don't have the statement of TSB EG022-02, but Jack seems to do. His plan is a good one. I would do the same.

Also;

As long as you opened the case with Toyota and they documented the mileage at that time, I think you should be ok, even if you go over.

Even if the TSB is not relevant to your car, you still have another problem, and they need to address it. Just take your car to the dealer (any Toyota dealer you feel comfortable with, not necessarily where you bought your car) directly and have them check it out.

Toyota might have forgotten to forward the service request to the dealer (happened in my case, different TSB). Call them back and inquire. If you are comfortable with your dealer's service dept, call them directly and inquire.

As for the seriousness of the problem, sorry, I don't have info. But someone on this group mentioned it's a computer issue, not a mechanical one.

As for the 36,000 mile-limit; does the TSB say your car have to be under 36,000 miles? I don't think it should, because your powertrain is covered through 50,000 miles. Your transmission is covered under this warranty.

I hope this helps.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim