Freon Leak

Had freon refilled on my 89 camry at the shop. A/C worked fine for a day. The next day it was back to not working again. Seems like a leak some where in the line. Any hints on locating the leak?

Reply to
camry_owner

they should have put a dye in the freon to find the leak. Looks like they want you back again and again...$

Reply to
ROBMURR

You paid money to a shop, it's up to them to account for their oversight.

Reply to
Philip®

Freon was banned by a number of countries due the ozone layer depletion. Has the US taken a head in the sand over this?

Jason (where we live very close to the Ozone-hole UV feed point)

Reply to
Jason James

Freon is a trademark. The production of number of CFC-based refrigerants were banned in the U.S. beginning in 1995.

Like you, we're hoping that the hole in the ozone layer will start to heal, soon.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Jason: Do get up to speed yourself. We (America) have been using R134a since 1993 and R12 is still available at a PREMIUM price thru licensed automotive repair facilities. There is also an R-12 replacement that meets EPA regs. Oh... that ozone hole... jet trails are good for making the hole smaller. LOL

--

Philip

"If a long train of abuses, prevarications, and artifices, all tending the same way, make the design visible to the people . tis not to be wondered that they should then rouse themselves."

- John Locke (1632-1704)

Reply to
Philip®

R12 was banned about 8 yrs ago here. Flouro-carbon cleaning and propellants about the same time.

Apparently, while flouro-carbons perform well as a refridgerant (low boiling point, a gas at atmospheric prssure) many other liquids under pressure perform reasonabley well, though not as well at the price or safety.

Jason ( just as the use of R12 has been curbed, the Chinese start buying fridges as affluence increases)

Reply to
Jason James

propellants

Reply to
Jack

The problem with R12 production is that applying heat to R12 creates phosgene gas ... a deadly nerve gas used back in WWII. Do we need to talk about that?

Reply to
Philip®

I'm all for it if it leads to another verification of Godwin's Law.

Reply to
Chris Aseltine