front disc brake pad replacment - '99 Camry

Any tips/pointers on replacing the disc brake pads? Although I have replaced pads on more than a few cars, this will be my first time with the Camry.

Is there any special issue with the Camry?

(I am prepared to replace the discs, too, depending on the condition of the existing ones.)

Reply to
katherat

Only use OEM yota pads. Discs? You mean the rotors? They don't usually need to be replaced unless they are warped or gouged. You need the anti-squeal goop and syntheitic grease for the pins.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I absolutely agree with the OEM pads. Discs are synonymous with rotors. That is why they are called disc brakes.

In any regards, I suggest having a C-clamp handy. I also purchase a can of brake cleaner to just clean things up while down there. Toyota's brake pads are very staightforward to change. Some don't even require a wrench. The new design allows you to pull the pads without swinging open the calipers. I'm not sure if yours is that way but just be aware that it is a possibility. While you're working on the brakes, suck out the fluid in the reservior and replace them with fresh fluid (Synthetic DOT 4 recommended).

Reply to
Viperkiller

Good tips. One other is when pushing the piston back in the caliper, make sure the bleed screw is opened enough to let fluid out. This prevents dirty fluid from being pushed back into master cylinder, proporioning valves and anti-lock valve(s). Ideally, this would be a good time to do a flush of the brake fluid. Easiest way is after pads are replaced to attach a small hose to bleeder screw, place end in container and open bleeder screw. Watch master cylinder so it doesn't run out of fluid and gravity bleed until fluid is as bright colored or clear as new fluid. Start with RR, LR, RF then LF. This won't replace all the fluid as some other methods will but can be done in a driveway by an amateur. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92