front passenger power window wont rise ... that is until I start driving the car a long distance

I have this most unusual problem with my 2001 camry. Front passenger side window can power down but wont rise unless I am driving a long distance and only in small increments

once I had to drive around my neighborhood 10 times while pressing the up button before it went up enough times to finally close

The car is almost paid off (only a few months left) so I want to take on this task myself ... I got the 2000 year toyota manual but I havent started looking at it

figured Id post here and see if anyone had a similar experience

thanks

Reply to
anubis

did you try to pull the window up with your hand while pressing the switch. Is this only on cold starts or every time you turn off/on your engine?

Reply to
EdV

yeah didnt make a difference. i have to let some time pass before it goes up and only in spurts

Every time I turn it off/on In fact I just disconnected the passenger side controls plug, and I dont ever lower the windows from my side (paranoia)

I am going to use the toyota manuals to "hack" this problem

Reply to
anubis

Your window MOTOR is acting up! You need to open your window and lubricate, or may be change it. But for now you can check where your Motor is located and hit with your hand. This is what i do with my

1999 Toyota Camry LE. Thanks
Reply to
miiriye

I haven't really noticed before, this is only my 2nd car with a power window, but are those motors swappable? I mean the drivers window is mostly used, can one swap motors from the rear seats? if one motor is already defective

I bet hitting and some screaming will make the motor work, that works for me = ) even on rattling sounds around the car.

Reply to
EdV

One owner suggests lubing the window glass rails with silicone spray and see if that helps. Check parts list on rockauto.com, partsamerica.com, etc, and if the motors front and rear on the same side are the same, try swapping them. You'll get more even use out of them that way.

Reply to
johngdole