Fuel Economy on 1989-91 Camry Auto vs. Manual

Dear NG: I'm looking to buy another one of these fine models, and prefer a standard, but these are harder to locate. Any testimonials on how much difference in fuel economy there is between auto and manual? I've owned a 1990 auto wagon for 6 years and 100,000 km, and it has had the lowest maintenance cost of any car I've ever owned, but the mileage has always been mediocre, about 28-29 MPG (US gallons) highway. TIA, H2Only

Reply to
H2Only

US gallons are about 15% smaller than imperial gallons. Now you were getting

28 mpg which in imperial is 31 mpg. For an auto that is not bad. Modern automatics use lock-up torque-convertors which means they get almost the same economy as a manual,..only about 10% more fuel used.

If the car is in the city, the difference will increase but only by about another 10% from my experience.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James