Fuel Gage no longer working on Camry 92 ?

Last night, I filled my tank with 3 gallons after the fuel gage showed empty. This morning the gage was pointing to almost full part of the gage. When I turn the ignition off, the gage does not return to the empty position.

Is my gage busted?

Anyone know how easy this is the fix or replace (if it's broke) ?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Reply to
JoeD

Last night, I filled my tank with 3 gallons after the fuel gage showed empty. This morning the gage was pointing to almost full part of the gage. When I turn the ignition off, the gage does not return to the empty position.

Is my gage busted?

Anyone know how easy this is the fix or replace (if it's broke) ?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Reply to
JoeD

There's a sending unit in the tank. There should be an access plate under the rear seat. Haynes repair manual has a picture. The fuel gauge in the dash is supposed to retain the reading with the ignition switched off. Don't know how relevant this is to your case, but had a fuel gauge problem with a 1977 Toyota pick up truck. The gauge would read "full" when full, but at around the 3/4 mark would drop to Empty. I always carefully watched the mileage on the odometer to know when to refill, but once at around 75 mph in the number one lane, right in the middle of a freeway interchange the engine died. Was actually able to coast to a mechanic, and after about an hour of checking, discovered it was out of gas. Can only assume the gas filling pump clicked off before the tank was actually "full." With the truck, sending unit replacement required removing the fuel tank. If I remember correctly the replacement fuel gauge sending unit was only around $50. The old unit had wire windings that had just shredded from age and use in the middle. No problems since.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

The fuel gauge on my 94 Camry does nothing for about 60 miles, then little, then zooms to the bottom when I reach the lower quarter of the tank.

Other cars (other makes) seem to do this, too. Fuel gauges seem to have characteristics that are designed for reasons other than usefulness to car owners.

I watch the little light that comes on when I have 8 liters of gasoline left. This seems to be accurate -- and I find it very useful.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger4336