Fuel Tank Compatibility - '95 LE Four Sedan

Our tank is leaking. The car is at the dealership. The OEM tank is $500 - plus another $500 for pump, lines and labor. I can get an aftermarket tank for $130, shipped. It's labelled "T015A", and I've seen this number used on a few websites. The dealer has no dimensions for the OEM part, though, and NAPA lists dimensions for *their* part that are significantly different from the ones listed for the $130 tank. The dealer will install an aftermarket tank, provided it fits.

Is there just one tank configuration for this year and model Camry, or does country of assembly (not Japan for ours) matter? We don't want to buy a $500 part for a 12 year old car, but we do want to fix it, and we want the part to fit. Help, please!

Reply to
mj

One more thing: the dimensions of the aftermarket tank are:

26 x 41 x 12

18.5 gallon

Reply to
mj

shows three part numbers by different manufacturers for that tank. Maybe you could find one of the manufacturer's and call them about the dimensions. I think that you're worrying too much. They didn't change the tanks during that generation, unless the U.S. and Japanese Camry's are different, and I don't think that they'd be different in that way.

Reply to
SMS

============ Sounds like you might be better off having an independent shop complete the repair. Thank the dealership for their diagnosis, tell them to return the vehicle and you're going to get another estimate. If it is actually the tank rather than replaceable fuel lines (a more likely source of leakage), and the fuel tank cannot be repaired for less than replacement cost, an independent mechanic can order and install a used or aftermarket part, so they're responsible to get the right size. I'm not clear why you also need the fuel pump. The tank and pump coincidentally failed simultaneously? You should be able to get a serviceable used fuel tank closer to the $130 I would guess. While I've never purchased a fuel tank, there are lots of used Camrys in the world. I did pull the fuel tank on my 1977 Toyota truck to replace the fuel pump and sending unit but that truck is still running fine with the original thirty year old fuel tank. BTW, on the Camry there is access to the pump from inside the car.

Reply to
Daniel

rockauto.com lists one for $187.79 and looks like this:

Napa's cost about $100 more and have the following specs:

Capacity:18.5 gal / 70 liters Height:27" Length:44" Width:7"

Reply to
johngdole

I'll reply to this post because it quotes all of mine. Thanks, all. I ordered the $130 tank, because I was able to compare photos with a site that sells only gas tanks, and this one appears identical. As you can see from one of the other posts, though, NAPA shows different dimensions. We're really hoping that NAPA is listing the dimensions for the previous generation... The Ebay dealer we are buying it from specializes in radiators; this seems to be a sideline, but he has a 100% + rating with many thousands of sales, so I'm hoping for the best.

We're going with the dealer because we have no really good independent mechanic. We thought we'd found one - he replaced a Volvo steering rack, saving the gunked up P/S pump, for under $600 - but then he charged us another $600 for essentially a tuneup and code read on our Camry wagon. That's no better than the dealership we use, and the wagon doesn't run as well, so we're using the dealer for the job.

They claim that they can't get the existing fuel pump off the tank to reuse without damaging it, and I'm going to choose to believe them. At least we're saving $370 on the tank, IF the new one fits. Fingers crossed!

Reply to
mj

We spent an afternoon with my Supra replacing the tank. We had a struggle with the fuel pump, but we got it off, replaced the screws and anti-seized them in case it does give out. That was 10,000 miles ago. We did have to hack off part of the fuel line, but a local Parts store had a Camry fuel line with the same fittings for $17, so we did a pressure flange on it, used some hi-pressure feul line and cobbed the thing together. Took a little 'ingenuity', but it worked! Cost $300 for the tank and $200 to put it in. No fuel pump required...

Reply to
Hachiroku