Gas Cap Scam??? WTH?

I am starting to shop for my 5th or 6th Camry - I really like them.

However, a couple of my Camry owning friends have told me to hold off until Toyota knocks off the Gas Cap/$100 Computer Reset scam. I think I saw something like this in the press, but can't find it.

What are they saying and what kind of scam can you have with a gas cap!!??? I'm lost.

Thanks Mama San

Reply to
mama san

No scam to it...If you dont tighten it after filling it will show a check engine light. Tighten it till it clicks several times and your fine. If it is a defective o ring on the gas cap, get a new one. Oh BTW once you put the cap on correctly the check engine light will go out by itself after a day or so...

Reply to
ROBMURR

what kind of scam can you have with a gas

Engine diagnostics have become sophisticated enough to monitor vapor pressure in the vapor recovery system. The idea is to minimize pollution from gasoline fumes that evaporate into the atmosphere. This is why gas filling nozzles now have rubber sealing boots. Gasoline, being highly volatile, evaporates quickly. Instead of being allowed to escape, fumes are routed to a charcoal cannister and subsequently burned in the engine.

If you leave the gas cap loose, the check engine light comes on.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus