Gas consumption

I went on a mini trip with my 1990 camry 4 cyl. I decided to check the gas consumption. Here are the numbers:

650km 43 litres @ 0.884$ = 38$

6.6 L / 100kms(consumption?)

Tank= 60 litres(according to manual)(15.9 gallons)

Range (full tank)= 907km

6.6 L / 100km? Can this be possible? A 2005 echo uses 6.3 litres /100km. that seems to good to be true... I dont have a light foot either... anyone else getting these numbers?

6.6 liter = 1.7435355 gallon [US, liquid]

100 kilometer = 62.1371192 mile

62.1371192 mile / 1.7435355 gallon [US, liquid]

35.6 miles/gallon
Reply to
DSPL

Ive gotten 34- 35 mpg, in a 91 4 , all the time on trips, 27 around town ,whats that in km?

Reply to
m Ransley

My '86 Sable would get 32+ mpg on a long Interstate trip. I have a friend with a Buick Century that claims 33 mpg on trips from NC to Ohio. 36 mpg for a Camry seems possible. However, single tank averages are almost meaningless. I know it is difficult to figure a "trip" average over multiple tanks of gas, but it is the only way to reduce the errors associated with the calculation. Suppose for the fill-up before your trip you got the tank particularly full (becasue of the particular nozzle, vehicle orientation, your patience, etc.) and on the other end, you did not get it quite as full. Very easy to introduce a 1 or 2 gallon (4 to 8 liters) error. I'd put the uncertainty on your single tank average at +/- 4 mpg. 32 mpg certainly seems likely, even with a heavy foot.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

My '97 camry 2.2L 4 cylinder gets about 24mi/gal in the city and about

26mi/gal with hwy/city mixture. I assume that you are reseting you trip odometer, driving around, and then figuring how much gas you have to put in it when you top off. This is a pretty good method but can be inaccurate a little bit, unless you do this all the time and take the running average. This is largely based on the fact that your tank will not always top off the exact same level every single time.

Example: Suppose I fill up at a station and the pump shuts off with the tank

100% full or 14 gallons (for example). I drive 100 miles, and burn 4 gallons of gas, which leaves me with 10 gallons of gas. Now I top off the tank and this time it trips the tank off at 97% full or 13.58 gallons (the shut off system is not a precision device and 97% isn't too far fetched). Now in order to get the 13.58 gallons, I had to add 3.58 gallons. So I do the math and I find that I got 27.93 mi/gal (100/3.58), when I really got 25 mi/gal (100/4). Next time I drive 100 miles, I burn another 4 gallons of gas, which leaves me with 9.58 gallons. I again top off, and this time it shuts off at 100% or 14 gallons. I had to add 4.42 gallons to do this, and my fuel economy would calculate out to be 22.62 mi/gal (100/4.42). The same driving habits would produce different number (quite different in fact). Now if I average both runs, I would get the correct 25mi/gal, but this is because the law of averages eventially levels out the variation in the top off amount.

Reply to
mechosu

I say 6,6 is pretty good. I was getting 6,3 with my 93 (4 cyl., 275,000 kms and synthetic oil in the engine). My 98 I have is not quite as good on gas. I just switched to synthetics in the tranny. I'll see if it makes a difference. The previous owner hadn't serviced it for quite some time. How many kms on your odo?

Reply to
Bassplayer12

My 97 gets 27 MPG around town and 33 MPG highway.

Reply to
badgolferman

I have kept detailed records since buying my 95 4-cyl Camry new. My highest tank is ~37 while the lowest has been ~21.

However, my interest was in the overall milage. By recording each purchase price, amount, milage and placing this into a speadsheet, I know that, overall, I have averaged 30.27 MPG for 102,145 miles. My high overall average was 31.03 MPG at 58,525 (just before I retired).

Over the years, I estimate I've driven 70% city-urban and 30% highway.

I use Mobil-1 sythetic and change the air-filter every 15,000 miles.

Overall, I'm very pleased.

Reply to
Jim