Gas Cover

The spring on my 1999 Camry extra gas cover broke off. Now I have to have someone pull the lever inside and some one else pry the door open on the outside. I attempted to remove the 2 allen screws which attach the cover but they are plastic and do not turn. How do I remove the cover ? Any one know where I can buy a new cover? My Camry is light gray.

Reply to
norm46

Perhaps I am not understanding. Why not replace the spring? I don't know what you mean by "extra gas cover". The spring for the fuel filler door is reasonably cheap and easy to replace. I have done this with my 1999 Camry. Sorry if I am misunderstanding.

Ron

Reply to
Ronnie Lee

The reason for the gas filler cover not opening is often because the small, flat metal spring broke. If you look at the hinge area you should be able to see it if still on there. Get one from the dealer for a few dollars.

Reply to
johngdole

In my 99 Camry Toyota should have used a heavier spring in the fuel door hinge. OEM doesn't work if there is any icing. Ditto for the spring controlling the little pin that is drawn back when one pulls up on the fuel door release lever inside the car. In icing conditions, my release lever will pull BACK on the pin, but, once the fuel door is opened, will not RELEASE the little black pin until it is either heated up and/or doused with lock deicer, i.e. pin sticks in recessed position.

Reply to
sharx35