Gas mileage: 4 vs V6 2003 data

Looking for realistic data for gas mileage for the 4 vs. V6 2003 Camry, if you have ever made several measurements.

Please give what driving and mileage, e.g.. city, mostly highway or freeway (65 mph LOL).

I am trying to make up my mind.

EPA is only good for comparison.

Thanks,

Reply to
Dusty

you did not get much of a response and I dont own a 2003, but the last generation model 1997 4 cylinder and get 32mpg on the highway with the air on. IF you need more power get the V6. I also tow a small boat 600lbs with mine.

Reply to
ROBMURR

i usu. get around 24 mpg with a mix of hwy/city drivin with my 2001 solara se (I4 engine) --- with a/c on most of the time this drops to around 21.5 ... prolly i drive the car badly givin such poor mileage....etc.

s.

Reply to
Suvrit

Further to my post, I get between 35 to 40 mpg's on the highway with my V6 and A/C on. City driving yields lower mileage.

Reply to
Car Guy

=>Looking for realistic data for gas mileage for the 4 vs. V6 2003 Camry, if =>you have ever made several measurements. =>

=>Please give what driving and mileage, e.g.. city, mostly highway or freeway =>(65 mph LOL). =>

=>I am trying to make up my mind. =>

=>EPA is only good for comparison. =>

=>Thanks, =>

Reply to
Cool Hand

I doubt it.

Reply to
Chris Aseltine

You are entitled to your opinion. Is there any reason you doubt it? Do you have documented or real life evidence that the 1MZ-FE V6 is incapable of getting 35 to 40 mpg's on the highway?

Reply to
Car Guy

I find this a little high as well. I have a '99 Camry LE V6 I have had since about new with 63,000 miles on it now.

I drive ~15,000 miles/yr on flat roads in a warm climate with 50 percent of that being a work commute of 14 miles each way with the following breakdown: First 5 miles of the commute: 35-45 MPH, next 7 miles: 55-60 MPH, last 2 miles: 10-30 MPH with 4 or 5 stoplights for the whole trip.

I drive gently.. Very, very gently. I do achieve the speed limit or a little above but I might spend a quarter-mile to get to 60 from a stop. (RPM is usually kept below 2000 except for the final gear where it runs 2300 or so.)

I suppose it is possible to accelerate more slowly, but I don't know how :) I am considerate of other drivers though and do get out their way.

I also glide to a stop or until the light turns green. The brake pads show maybe 20% wear at 63,000 miles.

On this cycle with a grocery stop here or there I have an average of 27 to

27.5 MPG with Mobil 1 5W-30, tires at 44 PSI . I calculate MPG on every fill-up.

My very best lifetime mileage was 32MPG pure highway at 65 MPH, no A/C.

I did manage to average right at 30 MPG during a recent, hurried 1200 mile round-trip journey with a moving average of 69 MPH (mostly driving around

75+ MPH) as measured by a GPS. A/C was on maybe half the time. I managed 520 miles of non-stop driving on one tank of gas! The empty light has been on 20 miles before I finally made it to my preferred gas station (Kroger gas with discount card, BTW).

I ran 87 octane for the first 60,000 miles, but noticed a 1 MPG improvement upon switching to 93 octane, FWIW. Not worth the cost difference, but interesting nonetheless.

Plugs are new at 60K, oil religiously changed before 3000 miles (I changed to M1 5W-30 at 5K, no consumption or leaks), air filter every 15K, trans drain every 15K, full trans flush every 30K Mobil 1 ATF since 20K, etc, etc, ad nauseam...

Tell me straight - am I wearing my car out with all this aggressive driving? :) LOL

Reply to
default

I think you want the Camry to run forever with that regimen. The new car vultures must hate you :-)

improvement

Reply to
Car Guy

Ok... MY math:

32 liters = 8.45 US Gallons

So... 285.83 miles divided by 8.45 US Gallons = 33.82 US miles per gallon. 33 mpg is not at all unusual for V6 Camry in the U.S..

Anytime Canadians start bragging about fuel consumtion, I *know* there's a conversion error or an omission regarding Imperial vs. US gallons. ;)

(snip the remaining apology for conversion errors

Reply to
Philip®

I have a 2003 4-cyl manual Camry LE. It has about 13k on it and gets a steady 29-30 mpg with about 70/30 highway/city use. 500 miles per tank of gas!

Reply to
Dan Contreras

Reply to
Car Guy

=>

=>I get 32 to 36MPG on my 1995 Camry I-4 on I-15 from Southern Cal to Canada =>Columbia Icefield. Family of 4 - 2 Adult and 2 kids(5,7). The trunk is FULL =>and back seat is almost full. A/C is on most of the time. Average speed 80MPH. =>I get better mileage once I get non california gas. =>

By the way, tires do make a different. With original factory tires, I get 24-26MPG. When I changed to ??? tires(cheap one) in "just 4 tires", the MPG jump.

Reply to
Cool Hand

Sorry, but you're wrong on all four points. Nearly 40,000 miles on this set, probably 50 percent flat-and-even tread remaining. Sidewall says 45PSI & I measure it hot. Thanks, though.

Reply to
default

Agreed. If the sidewall of your particular tires says 45 psi and since you are measuring them HOT, then my guess is you are running about 40-41 psi COLD. About the right pressure to achieve flat tread wear. My rule of thumb is 15% below max pressure listed on sidewall on the fronts, 20% of max on the lighter weighted rears. HOWEVER, the ride comfort at these pressures is a bit harsh. Ya makes choices!

Reply to
Philip®

I've got a 99 Camry with a V6 and it makes 27-28 mpg on the highway and 23 mpg in town.

I don't know anyone who uses "premium" fuel on this engine. It runs just fine on 89 octane regular. Premium fuel isn't recommended on my US built Camry.

Friends tell me that the I4 makes 4 mpg better than the V6.

Reply to
Ian

Newish (1400 mi) Camry LE 4 cylinder. Mileage has ranged from 23 mpg (stop and go traffic) to 31 mpg (80% hwy/20% town). I thinking that it could possibly get better when the engine breaks in more. So far I'm satisfied with the mpg.

Reply to
codetalker

on my 2002 Camry manual, regular fuel is required and premium fuel is recommended for the V6 for increased performance.

Reply to
Car Guy

Did anyone ever find out where to get the Camry with the "Super Mileage V6 Engine" Car Guy claims to have?

Reply to
Art Class

I think the problem was that I was in Canada and given the Imperial/Metric conversions, 34 MPG US is about 40 MPG's in Canada.

You sarcasm was noted and dismissed on the basis of ignorance. :^)

Reply to
Car Guy