Gas mileage: 4 vs V6 2003 data

My 2001 V6 Solara (5spd) gets 31-32 on the highway and 25-26 in the city on 87 octane.

Scot

Reply to
Scot

As you know, the 2003 V6 Camry has a new engine w/ 210 HP, 5 Speed Auto. I'm assuming the additional gear is why EPA says it gets 28 City (XLE and LE) and 29 for SE!

In any case, I have an '02 SE V6 (192 HP), and normally get about 19 MPG mix city/highway. On long trips I get about 24-25 MPG or so, not the advertised 27. This is because I usually do about 75-80 MPH with

4 passengers with some luggage and AC. Still pretty good.

I use Amoco Ultimate, but recently switched to Shell Premium after seeing their ads that claim more mileage per gallon. Actually, it does work! Try it. Now I get about 21.5 MPG city/highway with AC on. Performance is not too bad either. Haven't yet tried it on a long trip.

--Ibrahim

Reply to
Ibrahim

It'd be nice if everyone mentions US or Canada measurements so we can compare apples to apples.... :) Anyways.......

I've got a 2003 Camry 4cyl auto with about 11K on it. I've had it since last November. I do mostly city driving and get 24-26mpg (US) around town. I've been on two long trips so far and can typically get 32-33 on the highway fully loaded (and moving it at 75+mph - i.e. I'm not being overly gentle on the highway) with air conditioning on. This is the first car I've ever had that gets the advertised mpg. I had a ford contour with 4cyl auto that couldn't even come close (averaged 21-23 mpg) and the dealer ignored me when I complained. I also had a bunch of electrical problems and the paint chipped if you even breathed on it. (So I got rid of it and bought a new Camry). I drive conservatively in town, have the tires inflated to 35lbs and try to get the recommended viscosity of oil. (I've had problems with the toyota dealer putting in 10W-30 instead of the recommended 5W-30(guessing as I don't really remember for sure right now). They claimed that it was needed in floridas warmer weather. I asked them for the service bulletin and they said there was none, so I told them to put in what it says right on top of the engine. When I got the printed receipt this second time, it said 10W-30 was put in. When I asked, they told me that they had actually put in grade that I requested. Anyways, this has happened twice. I'm on my 3th oil change (4th oil batch) and I noticed it when they put in the heavier oil. I lost about 2mpg. I can see it visually on the gas gauge as it doesn't have as many miles on the tank when I hit 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and when the little warning light comes on when the heavier oil is used. The results are:

City When MPG Viscosity Tire Pressure Where

----------- New 25.5mpg unknown breakin oil 32lbs Factory

3K 24mpg 10W-30 (started using 35lbs air) Dealer 6k 26.5mpg 5W-30 35lbs Jiffy Lube 9k 24.5mpg not sure 35lbs Dealer

I'm thinking that the dealer put in the 10W-30 but because I don't have a warm-fuzzy I will be watching them put it in next time. I may also consider adding more air as I see a number of people putting in 40-42lbs and getting

35-37mpg (US? or Canada?) and that is within the max limits of the tire manufacture specs.

Tim Florida

"Art Class" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Doris Deyoung

I think you worry about oil too much. Since it is warm there, the oil will never get to be a 5w-30 oil anyway. Maybe you should just go with synthetic oil. That is gonna be one rough riding Camry with that much air in those tires. Take into account that in your heat the pressure will go up even more, maybe much more.. Rob, 1997 Camry, 165,000+ miles.

Reply to
ROBMURR

What are YOU smoking? Explain: "....the oil will never get to be

5w-30 oil anyway." How ridiculous and demonstrative of a thorough misunderstanding of what multigrade is. Go look up what is meant by multigrade oil. Sheesh
Reply to
Philip®

Since you have 4 people in your car alot, why not put a couple more pounds of air in your tires. Tire pressure is based on wieght being supported and having 3 more people in the car drives up the car's wieght percentage wise.

My car says to use 32 lbs. Funny thing is they say to use the same pressure all the way around. I guess that is just for convience and ride quality. I run 32 in the rear and 35 up front. I have seen cars that recommend more air up front since the front of the car is 60% of the weight.

In another example, I had a motorcycle that said run 36 lbs of air Solo and 40 lbs with passenger.

Just a thought. It may help get you another .5 to 1 mpg.

Scot

Reply to
Scot

Uh, you just agreed with me in your next post on this subject! "Get a grip. At OPERATING temperature, there is NO DIFFERENCE between

5w-30 and 10w-30. You're ignorance has lead you to some "remarkable" rationalizations."
Reply to
ROBMURR

ROBMURR..... explain the passage you made: "... the oil will never get to be 5w-30 oil anyway." What does that mean and do not tell me that I agreed with you. Good grief.

Reply to
Philip®

Suvrit wrote: : i usu. get around 24 mpg with a mix of hwy/city drivin with my 2001 solara : se (I4 engine) --- with a/c on most of the time this drops to around 21.5 : ... prolly i drive the car badly givin such poor mileage....etc.

I get about 24.5 MPG in my 2001 Solara V6. 70 to 80 MPH, AC on.

I've noticed no adverse effects running 87 octane regular. Tried premium and saw no performance difference although the manual states one would get better performance with it (implying a timing advance I'd guess.)

City goes to about 23 MPG w/AC on.

b.

Reply to
<barry

:> Further to my post, I get between 35 to 40 mpg's on the highway with my V6 :> and A/C on.

: I doubt it.

Me too. I've NEVER seen greater than 25 MPG with my Solara V6.

Reply to
<barry

He lives in Florida. It is hot in Florida. He is worried about the low end of the viscocity scale of the 2 oils he has to choose from. At those temps the oil will never reach anything near a 5w or 10w viscosity so therefore there is no difference as you said. We are in agreement.Chevron agrees also. From Chevons website... "SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Viscosity Grade Viscosity is a measure of an oil's thickness, or resistance to flow. Lower numbers indicate thinner oil and higher numbers indicate thicker oil. There are two types of motor oils, single grade and multi-grade. Multigrade oil such as a

10W-30, are designed to have the viscosity of an SAE 10W oil at cold temperatures combined with the viscosity of an SAE 30 oil at engine operating temperatures. The "W" or "Winter" designation indicates that the oil meets viscosity requirements for low temperatures (below 30° F)." Rob
Reply to
ROBMURR

Miles per Imperial gallon. LOL

Reply to
Philip®

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" Mark Twain

I used to get like 27 mpg in town and 34 highway but lately not so good. Course that's in an 88 Camry wagon so I don't guess it applies.

Reply to
Otis P Driftwood