Gas Mileage Computer Accuracy

Does anyone know how this works? Specifically does it use an actual fuel flow measurement (which presumably is accurate) or some other approach which would be less accurate. My 2004 Camry 4 shows about 29 mpg average but I get only 23. Dealer blames it on oxygenated gas and dismisses the mileage readout as only a rough guess. Says its only input is from the fuel tank sending unit but I don't see how that is possible since it knows almost instantaneously when I am going up or down a hill. Anybody have any experience with this issue.

Reply to
Lew

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Lew being of bellicose mind posted:

Based on calculations from injector spray duration, manifold vacuum (or air flow), idle time, vehicle speed, engine RPM, and fuel tank level.

Oxygenated fuel does increase fuel consumption (lower MPG).

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

My dealer advises that none of them are axurate on the Camrys. They just represent an estimate and it can not be calibrated. SUCKS!

Reply to
Stevie Ray

In news:030320042050430907% snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com, Stevie Ray being of bellicose mind posted:

Driving computers on other brands are no better. These driving calculators provide ONLY an ESTIMATE. The estimate is usually on the low side so that it will be less likely that you get stranded on the side of the road with the display saying you've got 15 miles left.

I am becoming hardened to GADGET people who get their panties all tied up in a knot over STUPID gadgets.

You bought a CAR.

You should dismiss all notions that you bought an electronic amusement center on wheels.

Put a strip of black Duct Tape over the damned fool driving computer until you can get yourself into a base model Camry ... a CAR that is meant to move your butt from place to place in comfort.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

The mileage display on my 2003 4-cly XLE consistently reads about 22% high.

The dealer essentially said that nothing can be done (or would) but offered to have me meet a higher level guy that comes to the dealership once or twice a month. So far, every time the guy was there, I had other committments. But, maybe one of the days!!

Otherwise the car is great.

Reply to
S & B