Gas pump shuts off when refueling 99 Camry

Threaded View

Recent problem happened around the same time as check light going on.
When refueling, the gas pump will shut off as if my tank is full, and
sometimes fuel will come out the filler tube. I've tried different
angles of the nozzle and fueling very slowly which helps some, but it
takes forever to fill the tank. Happens at all gas stations.

Any ideas? The car is a '99 6 cyl with 44000 miles.

Re: Gas pump shuts off when refueling 99 Camry

The vent hose (smaller one next to the fill pipe may be restricted. Or
the check valve on the tank side of the hose isn't working properly.

Re: Gas pump shuts off when refueling 99 Camry

I think John has it right - the vent tube is probably blocked.  That being
said, Click & Clack Brothers did a piece in the newspaper last month
discussing overfilling the tank (topping off after the pump clicks off).
They said it could cause damage to the fuel recirculation system (that's the
vapor coming from the tank) by causing fuel to enter the charcoal filter
canister.  My check engine light was coming on (and staying on) every few
weeks and the dealer had two options: 1) replace the check valve (tank to
manifold = $54) or 2) replace the canister = $330).  I chose the valve and
everything has been OK.

Re: Gas pump shuts off when refueling 99 Camry

thanks for the inputs. I will have it checked. I just hope that both
problems can be solved with the same repair.

Re: Gas pump shuts off when refueling 99 Camry

I brought the car into Sullivan Brothers in Kingston. They diagnosed
it as a cannister failure. $460 with a discount for senior citizens.

I may be off base here but it seems that this air-pollution policy it
playing into the hands of the service dealers.

Re: Gas pump shuts off when refueling 99 Camry

Canister failure should set an emissions code as required by Toyota's
EPA certification for that car.

A damaged canister may be the very rare result of overfilling, but I
don't know how changing out the canister without looking at the
overfill valve or filler tube can clear the problem in the long term.

Re: Gas pump shuts off when refueling 99 Camry

thank you for the suggestions. The next poster agrees.