Gas pump shuts off when refueling 99 Camry

Recent problem happened around the same time as check light going on. When refueling, the gas pump will shut off as if my tank is full, and sometimes fuel will come out the filler tube. I've tried different
angles of the nozzle and fueling very slowly which helps some, but it takes forever to fill the tank. Happens at all gas stations.
Any ideas? The car is a '99 6 cyl with 44000 miles.
The vent hose (smaller one next to the fill pipe may be restricted. Or the check valve on the tank side of the hose isn't working properly.
On Dec 31, 9:19 am, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I think John has it right - the vent tube is probably blocked. That being said, Click & Clack Brothers did a piece in the newspaper last month discussing overfilling the tank (topping off after the pump clicks off). They said it could cause damage to the fuel recirculation system (that's the vapor coming from the tank) by causing fuel to enter the charcoal filter canister. My check engine light was coming on (and staying on) every few weeks and the dealer had two options: 1) replace the check valve (tank to manifold = $54) or 2) replace the canister = $330). I chose the valve and everything has been OK.

thanks for the inputs. I will have it checked. I just hope that both problems can be solved with the same repair.

I brought the car into Sullivan Brothers in Kingston. They diagnosed it as a cannister failure. $460 with a discount for senior citizens.
I may be off base here but it seems that this air-pollution policy it playing into the hands of the service dealers.
Canister failure should set an emissions code as required by Toyota's EPA certification for that car.
A damaged canister may be the very rare result of overfilling, but I don't know how changing out the canister without looking at the overfill valve or filler tube can clear the problem in the long term.
On Jan 25, 2:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

thank you for the suggestions. The next poster agrees.